1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for handling posion ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stuttering Stan, May 23, 2008.

  1. Stuttering Stan

    Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,503

    Any ideas on how to handle this stuff? I have bad reactions to it but it has to be pulled out of shrubery. Any ideas? I have tried a gloved hand but didn't work.
  2. jrush

    jrush LawnSite Member
    Posts: 215

    Cover yourself good, I also go to walmart and keep Cortaid in the truck, so if I do touch it or think I have I put that stuff on. Seems to work good.
  3. ken gustafson

    ken gustafson Inactive
    Posts: 237

    I have had more Poison Oak and Ivy than is common. I have tried everything anyone would even mention...including shots. The best...for me...hands down is the brand name...TECNU can be bought in most drug stores. As long as you do something about it within 4 hours of contact. If you forget to take care of that again Tecnu has a relief gel that sucks the poison out and has to be repeated every 10 hours or so. I have had spells that lasted as long as 4 months but since Tecnu.....absolutely no problems. Been in firewood business for 26 years and no matter how much I tried to avoid these poisons...they always seemed to find me. GREAT stuff......really great. Ken
  4. wildbilly1113

    wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 154

    Old West Virginia mountain remedy,Eat some of the leaves and you will become immune! People think I am crazy when I eat some in front of them and no it will not hurt you. I have been poison ivy free for 30 years!
  5. C&K

    C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN
    Posts: 295

    I heard that too when I was younger. A friend of mine tried it and he got poison ivy on his face, hand, in his mouth and his throat.

    I do not recommend trying that.
  6. ALC-GregH

    ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA
    Posts: 7,053

    I find that hard to believe. But if I did, I still wouldn't eat a leaf. ;)
  7. C&K

    C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN
    Posts: 295

    I get it every time I'm around it. One thing I have had success with is when you know you have been exposed or you start showing symptoms you can take a laundry detergent like tide (powder) and rub it on the skin while just wetting it enough to make it somewhat pasty. I think it's the grit that removes the oily/waxy poison that normal soaps won't remove. The ivy residue is what causes the itch and if you can remove it, no itch.
  8. Happy Frog

    Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,224

    Not everyone react to poison ivy or oak while some are very sensitive to it and develop horrible rashes.

    Telling someone to eat their leaves is irresponsible and borderline criminal. :angry:

    Best way to handle these plants is to kill them first by spraying them and after they are dead (one or two weeks) remove them while wearing disposable painter's coverall, respiratory mask and gloves.
    Put everything in a trash bag when you are done (do not burn it, the smoke can send you to the ER real quick). Put new disposable gloves to remove your clothes and wash them in hot water, trash the gloves afterward.
  9. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 21,653

    Oh that stuff is too easy, it don't mess with me.
  10. skeet

    skeet LawnSite Member
    Posts: 166

    Ken is correct about the TECNU..you can buy it at most drug stores and you can pour some in your rinse cycle when washing your clothes. Put TECNU on b/4 and after working in poison ivy. IT DOES WORK

Share This Page