Ideas for hauling fill dirt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres the scoop. I have a daycare center that needs to have some holes filled in with soil.

My idea was to add the fill dirt and then aerate the entire lawn. After the aeration I was going to seed the lawn as well.

My problem is that it is going to take alot of dirt to fill these areas, due to some errosion. I would guess about 5 cubic yards of fill dirt.
    I have access to the dirt but I dont know of a great way to haul it. I have a Dodge Dakota with 6' bed, and a 6 x 12' open trailer.
    I really dont wont to dump it in my truck bed and have to shovel it out (leaving a mess to clean out).

HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT HAULING WITH THIS SETUP? Anything I could make or use that would fit on the trailer?

2. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Jim, I try and have fill brought to the site by the place I get it from if it is over 3 yds. I've been looking at the loadhandler and think it would work good for what your are doing with your trailer. If you do use your trailer I wouldn't put more than a yd and a half in at a time as the weight will push that little truck all over I would think. When I have them dump it for me I put out several tarps to dump on so I don't damage any good grass they have next to the curb. THen it's time to get out the wheel barrows:D .
  3. Shannon Phillips

Shannon Phillips LawnSite Member
    from indiana

You might try putting a tarp down on the trailer and drape it over the sides. Then dump the dirt, that way you can keep what you pay for and then just use a broom to sweep it up.
  4. JimB

JimB LawnSite Member

:D VERY SIMPLE VERY SIMPLE, have the supply yard you buy it from deliver it right to the job site, have 2 mexicans ready with shovels and wheelbarrows and watch em go, just figure in an extra two hundred bucks to pay the guys for thier work and you won't even break a sweat, I do it all the time and everyone is happy.

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

On all of my jobs I'm in the same situation. I always have it loaded on my trailer and unload it and place the dirt where I need it with a dingo. You can rent one for about $150 a day and make the customer pay for it. But personally I am going to buy a dump trailer in the next two weeks hopefully.

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts
  6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your local rental supply and rent a dump trailer then you can back it to the spot where you want to fill
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Hauling 5 yards of dirt with a Dodge Dakota? You'd better plan on making a couple of trips if you do that. With a 12 ft dump trailer that would be close to 5 tons in tow. The truck could probably do it, but I wouldn't want to be driving it.
  8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

a couple trips?

i don't know how old your dakota is, or what the rating of your existing trailer is. but i know what a couple yards feels like in my HD. i don't suggest trying to push your truck beyond its limits

i'd make it at least 4 or 5 trips, depending on if the trailer is rented. and i wouldn't try backing it up, over curbs and on soft ground, with the dakota.

really, first i'd explore getting it delivered, which keeps your truck nice and clean.

course you still have to move the 5 yards. you're definately more man than i :D
  9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the tips everyone.

5 yards is just a very rough guess. I do have access to a farm that has fill dirt so the dirt is free for the taking, and thats why I was trying to haul it myself.

I did 20 yards of wood chips a few weeks back so I think I can handle 5 yards of dirt without any problem. I know its heavier but I can handle it.

How about hauling it in the bed of my truck and lining the truck bed with a tarp? Anyone ever try this?
  10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

after i posted the thought ran thru my mind that you might be loading as well as unloading, ,sine you said "access to dirt"

WOW. that is alot. you could use a tarp,and that would help as you could drag the dirt out once you got some off the bed.

i guy i once worked for had a tarp like product that had a roller attatched to the tailgate. you unrolled the tarp, put the dirt on, then rolled it off once you had unloaded some. surprisingly worked really well.

remember wood chips and dirt are apples and oranges.

could you rent a truck and trailer? would the client accept the higher bid that would result from the extra costs, or have you given the bid already? would just be easier on yourself. and would ensure your truck lasts the season.

i'm guessing your truck is your "baby" . i just put the dirt in, and spray it out after. trucks a mess anyway