1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for new Dingo Mini Skid Attachments

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Venturewest, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I have an idea for a dingo attachment I would like to fabricate for my own use.

Let me know what you think, and if any of you have made an attachment or would like to.

I would like to make a boom lifting attachment that would have about a 1000# or more capacity to lift and place boulders and trees with precision.

I plan on doing this by using another set of heavy duty wheels under the attachment. This would serve as the new fulcrum point and keep the dingo from tipping over. The tilt and height of the bucket would control the boom by leveraging off the wheels.

I may need to scan a photo so everyone will know what I am talking about.

I also made a sod big roll attachment for my dingo. I didn't use any wheels so my capacity is about a 200 sq. ft bermuda big roll with the counter weights on the dingo. My big roll attachment would also be better with the wheels as a fulcrum.

I have seen Forkster's lifting accessories for the dingo and obviously they are incredible. I however only want to spend $150 on metal and weld up a simple reliable attachment that increases my ability as a one man crew if I chose.

An obvious problem is that you could not easily turn if the wheels were fixed. If the wheels were able to pivot like on the front of a zero turn, you could turn, but you would not be able to drive on a side hill very well. The weight on the front of the boom would dangerously steer you down hill.

I can see limited application, but very useful in those situations.

2. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

hmm that seems cool.

what if you had the same design setup...but to lower and lift your boulders you fab some type of conection for a hydrolic winch you can conect to the dingo. a winch would lift like a couple thousand pounds.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

leave it to the pros and buy a bigger machine. lol
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How much steel can you get for 150 bucks?

5. Venturewest

Is that a rhetorical question? I don't really know to tell you the truth. How much can you get?

Hopefully enough to build my attachment.
  6. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

All you are doing is moving your tipping point out farther it does not really accopmlish all that much and as for the steel not much at all if you want to make it heavy duty.
  7. Venturewest

Hydraulic would be really nice of course. With time, money and a decked out shop all kinds of cool things would be possible for sure.

I like the idea of a simple cable winch for sure for precise stuff.
  8. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

aren't there extra hydraulic hose connections on the dingo?

a hydraulic winch by ramsey is like $700

then all u gotta do is fab a steel plate with 4 bolt holes in it

weld the plate to the base of your design

bolt the winch to the plate and run the cable up to the tip of the boon with a pulley and your done.
  9. Venturewest

The problem isn't with figuring out how to lift a heavy object, it is how to provide an "outrigger" of sorts to act as the fulcrum so the dingo doesn't tip over. The wheels are needed so the whole thing is half way manueverable.

If you put a boom on a dingo and lifted even a 600 lb rock on the end of a short boom it would just tip the dingo over.
  10. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

oh i know, thats why i said keep ur design u already have, just add the winch and pulley