Ideas for next year.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I have a few ideas and plans for next year, and I would like to know what you guys think.

1. I currently call my business "Howie's Lawn Care" and would like to sound more professional and provide mulch installs next year. Do either of these sound good?

Howard Lawn & Landscape
    Howard Lawn Service

2. I plan on having a setup that will allow me to do mulch, so what do you think I should charge for the labor on each yard in my area? Also, how much should I charge for each yard delivered for my jobs if I will be paying $24.50. The place where I will most likely be purchasing the mulch is on block from my house, less than a minute drive. Should I charge $27.00 for each yard delivered and then $30.00 or $40.00 in addition for the installation of each individual yard. Also, one business in town charges $32.50 a yard. I think thats insane considering they are outside of town about 2 miles and the other place is right in the middle on a main street. The place that sells it for $32.50 is doing quite well though, considering they have 30 full-time employees.

3. I wish I could determine what kind of truck I will have, but I have new plans for that every other week. I do believe I will sell mine and buy a 1989 Chevy 1500 since I will then be out of debt upon paying off my ZTR. This will make it easier for me to get a new truck next spring. I will have two loans paid off and will have just turned eighteen.

4. Since I will be turning 18 in february, I plan on gettin the business licensed instead of running it through my personal income. I plan on getting a business checking account and telephone. I already have a cellphone, but I thoguht of maybe getting a land line as a business so I can write it off. Right now, I just have a personal cell phone. I am also going to be mailing my invoices starting next month. Does anyone have any tips for mailing invoices? I bought double windowed envelopes and small envelopes for payment. Does anyone know where I can find some invoice templates for double windowed envelope.

Any and all help would be greatley appreciated. I realize I am sometimes stubborn and don't always conform to your suggestions and advice. These questions are ones I really need help with so I can start next year off on the right path, and not the left one. Thanks.

-Nick Howard

2. PennyhillLawn

PennyhillLawn LawnSite Member

I charge 80 a yard installed on dyed mulch i buy it for 25 a yard.

3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Howards Lawn & Garden Service.

4. Howie's Lawn Care

Thanks for the input. Why did you choose Garden service instead of landscape. I've never heard of anyone using garden intheir name. These are the names of the main players in my area.

Kevin Flory Landscaping & Lawn Care
    Crowell Lawn Service
    Little Time Handyman & Lawn Care
    Fitzwater Tree & Lawn Care
    Organize It

5. Sandgropher

Where did my reply go aahhh well try again.

Lawn & garden service common here Perth down under.

Try Howard Lawn & Landscape :usflag:

Would be better than Howies etc , good thinking a name change would sound more proffessonal :clapping:

6. Howie's Lawn Care

Thanks for the input once again. I think Howie's give the wrong impression right off the bat. When someone is looking at my flyer, Howard definetley sounds better than Howie and people feel more comfortable saying it. I also expect I will get more interested people with landscape in the name as opposed to just lawn care and hopefully I can grow into the landscaping division.

-Nick Howard

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Howard L&L sounds good.

8. Sandgropher

Yes i think Howies gives wrong impression to, yes add landscape to the name & get the extra work $$$$$$$.:clapping:

I think a good business name can make a big difference in the success of the business, its funny what a couple of words can do. :)

9. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Maryland and when I first decided to go into this business full bore I got my truck lettered " Howard's Lawn Service". I had my business cards printed and shirts made up. Then I got my accountant and tried to register my company name and it turned out there is already a "Howard's Lawn Service" in Maryland. Oops. So before you pick a name, make sure the name is even available in your area. So anyway I like Howard's Lawn and Landscape.

10. Sandgropher

....oh and by the way half the guys(here) get there money by internet trasfer straight into their bank saves waiting for cheques etc:)

Put it through your business account as you know (others may not) always try and keep bus/personal money separtrate.