Ideas for plantings

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 93Chevy, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Hi guys, just looking for a few ideas here, is all. As you can see from the pics below, I need some material to fill the open space. As a note, I did not choose the maple or boxwoods and I did not choose their placement. So my apologies if those plants aren't ideal for the area. Secondly, the juniper by the porch will be removed next season. That's just not what they want to concentrate their money on.

What I thinking, and please feel free to be critical, is different blooms throughout the year to keep the place colorful. I think the maple should be a focal point and I need a few contrasting colors to move the eyes toward the maple. And I don't expect anybody to do my work for me, I'm just more or less brainstorming and looking for ideas from different minds. So thank you for you help.

P1010022-2.JPG

P1010023-2.JPG

2. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

maple. And I don't expect anybody to do my work for me, I'm just more or less brainstorming and looking for ideas from different minds. So thank you for you help.[/QUOTE]

So you are 21 and brainstorming and if someone here tells you about an idea and you like it and you use it, who did the work?
    I have been doing this for 18 years and what did I do before the internet?
    I brainstormed and drew several different ideas and slept on it and made a decision the next day.
    That is the problem with our society now days is you can have everyone do your work for free from the web.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not relying on the internet, I'm using it as a resource.

Since we have never met each other, I won't take this personally. But since you don't know me, please don't make assumptions that I will steal ideas and pass them off as my own.

Sorry for posting this thread, a mod can take it down if they feel it necessary. It's not going anywhere, and I have the design ready.

4. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

No I dont know you and yes you are renaming the term "resource".
    YOu really sound like Obama and renaming his cap and trade policy.
    I dont really try to be a jerk, it just is really annoying to see people on here asking for help in design.
    I understand putting up a design after its finished then asking for critique and handling negative or postitive feedback.

I actually had a lawn guy in my area ask me to design something for his customer and I told him it would be $600.00 he fell over dead and asked why?
    I told him Im not going to do his work for him for free.

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Alright, fair enough.

My original intent wasn't to steal anybody's design. After some thought today, I realized that asking for help on this design may lead to me to use a design and not give credit.

I'll eat my lunch on this. Consider this an apology. Again, my original intent wasn't to steal, but after some thought, I realized that if i did use somebody's ideas without giving proper credit, that's plagiarism, which is a form of theft.

But again, we don't know each other, so I'm weighing my chances of you actually believing me. Obviously you don't have a good impression of me so far. And if it makes a difference, I don't care for Obama.

7. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

To get this back on track:

I would use some clusters of 3-5 plants since you already have a specimen plant (maple). Not sure about your area or the sun intensity but I have always liked ornamental grasses such as feather reed grass (karl forester). I also personally love all varieties of lilac as they give a nice fragrance during bloom, which is especially nice near a frequently traveled area. I also use a ton of barberry which you can get in 3 colors (small and grows slow)

Give us the soil and or sun info and we can make a good decision.

Maybe talk to your supplier and see what they sell a lot of?

8. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

well for what its worth.
    1. maybe another row of contrasting shrubs behind the row of woood
    2.maybe the bulb game .... tulips and gladiolas.
    3. firm believer in a landscape changing per season.
    4. i go with atleast 7 different plants in a landscape
    5. maybe a hosta bed on the ends.

i'll do a mock up tonight to express my view will post later and if you like i dont need credit you asked for help so i help. to give help and then put a price on it is not help thats a service. there are enough customers out here not to charge or even relly worry about another company. "GREEN INDUSTRY UNITE"

9. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

Hey steiner like your thinking as welll really similiar

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Contrast?...It's a red brick house. Anything not red will contrast. How about moving the maple forward a bit and planting a mass of Azailias or sim behind the maple and trail them toward the left. Then transition into something smaller that is a different shade of green. Most colors will not show well against a red backdrop. Try and mimic nature with mass plantings. You can also leave room for a flower bed in front somewhere. As far as plagiarism..who even cares? Look online at landscape drawings and copy them if you want. Unless they really want it...the worse thing you could do is put 3 of these..3 of those..type of thing.