1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for pricing bed eding, please.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1BadHawk, Jun 1, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Ive had a large number of people ask me this year about eding their beds. Most of which have no edge what so ever, grass, then mulch , if that. Some of the ones I picked up I did by hand. A PIA, but thats ok, because the rest of the job was worth it.

I'm thinking about getting an edger for next year, and I hear with a good edge you can really establish a nice deep clean cut edge in no time. Im wondering, how do you price for this service? Im assuming by the foot, but whats a going the going rate in your area and or what do you charge?

Thanks in advance your help.

2. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

nothing eh?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We charge 85 cents a foot.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The edger I used cut a deep edge but it was so step going into the bed that the pinestraw tries to stand straight out and will not lay in the trench.I had too take a had shovel and take the bed side down to make the pine straw lay right.With the right blade design it would be better.All of the edgers I have seen have similar blades.I live in Georgia and the clay makes it a pain and then the trench has to be cleaned out.I used a blower and it was messy.
    The yard looks good know but it was alot of work.
    Oh also they probally had 400 or 500 feet of bed s too edge maybe more.
    I did it mixed in with some other stuff so I did not have to figure exactly.
    I would not do it for less than a dollar a foot.

5. JON K

JON K LawnSite Member

part of regular maintenance at $.85 that would be over $20.00 for a 25' bed. How could charge that on top of price of mowing the grass. I Edge with a stick edger every week on my accounts.

6. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

This is what they are talking about but you can use a stick edger with a new blade to keep the grass from growing over the edge after it is already defined.

Attached Files:

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, I just started a job last Monday, front bed alone was 145' The beds around the rest of the house and outlying parts of prop. are at least another 375-400' . I will also put edge around all trees. I use a Echo stick edger then go around and pop any excess material out with shovel. 145' took me a hair over an hour to do. Good money at .85 per foot, around here you wouldn't get much more than that.

-Geoff

8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

1.50 per ft. For an edge that has never been created
    ( I edge by hand with a spade)
    Includes creating the edge,and removing the debris

.75 cents a ft for an edge that needs a little work but just needs sharpening
    Includes sharpening the edge,removing light debris.

1.75 per sq.ft for weeding a bed this is an extra
    includes weed removal,and hauling debris

:)

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: So a 500 sqft bed would be $875?

10. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Do you guys really get that kind of money for weed removal? That wouldnt fly here. Wouldnt a bed depend on number of weeds or is that a price for all year? How many weeds are you really pulling in a landscaped bed.