Ideas for pricing extensive french drain system

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by guitarman2420, Feb 17, 2011.

1. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a long time residential customer who has a water problem. I met the county water inspector and came up with the plan that should work. I estimate that I need @ 3 runs of 150-200 foot of 6" and 1 run of 8" pipe. The topography of the property will help the runoff from the pipes once it is routed to the correct area. The present problem is compounded by idiot neighbors blocking the water drainage spill-off area. What is a good price per linear foot? The client will pay what is asked; but I want to be reasonable and not rip them off. I found pricing anywhere on the threads and the internet from 7-30 a linear foot. I'd like the pricing as a turnkey. There are no rock or soil issues - easy digging.

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

How long do you think it will take you?

3. Showpropserv

Showpropserv LawnSite Member
    from mn

Wouldnt that be illigal by blocking that off

4. guitarman2420

I figure 32 manhours. It may take a little longer as I don't have my full crews working during the off-season and I'll have to do much of the labor (ugghh).

As far as the illegal part of the people blocking the drain field, you're right; but the homeowner is not willing to go to battle over it. They have lived side by side for years.

Thanks for the help

5. guitarman2420

Also, in looking at some of the specs on the drainage pipe, I may be overdoing it with the 6 and 8 inch pipe - 4" may work. Has anyone had a good experience with flex-drain?

6. Showpropserv

Showpropserv LawnSite Member
    from mn

big fences make good neighbors

7. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Then I would just price it by what you feel you want to make per hour say 45 or 50..then add materials and delivery. Im not try to be a smart a** just my basic equation for figuring up work price

8. guitarman2420

Don't feel you're trying to be smart at all - I'm just trying to get some advice and feel good about the pricing. Are you billing out at 45-50 per hour? Depending upon the type of job, we are at 40-45 for general work & 75 for landscape design.

9. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

Are you using solid pipe or perf with gravel? Do you have to lift and replace sod? We usually charge are 5 to 7 per foot for 4 inch pipe if it's easy digging. In this case your best bet is to price out your materials and estimate your labor. Hope this helps.

10. guitarman2420

We're using perf pipe for @ 300 foot and solid for @ 200. We will be using gravel and a sock where needed.