1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ideas for promotions /deals

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RonWin, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for advice from you vets about doing promotions to boost types of services that you enjoy doing. I am trying to generate more business, specifically full service accounts. Was just trying to get an idea of what promos have worked for you and were happy with. I don't want to give away my hardwork so I figured id ask what you guys have found to be successes. Anything from early sign UPS to discounts for additional services / upselling. Any advice welcome. I know it all depwnds on what type of work one enjoys doing and then figuring out a way to boost it with promos, I'm just playing the field right now for ideas, as to not cut out any I may not even think of offering
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. lawnguy01

lawnguy01 LawnSite Member

We offer neighborhood discounts, prepay discounts, bundle discounts, and various others. They are all a percentage. A big promotion we are doing now is offering free oil changes for referrals. We buy them deeply discounted 20 at a time, then only give them away when the sale is made. We've burned through close to 30 of them so far this season and our clean-ups are only 2 days in.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Saw a flier the other day. 1 free pizza a month for the season.
  4. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Wait a minute.... Pizza's? Oil changes? What are you guys talking about? You buy discounted oil changes from who? Jiffy Lube or something? And Pizza's? From a landscaping company? Wow, this is really thinking outside of the box.... I would love to hear more about the oil changes.... seems interesteing
  5. lawnguy01

We have full service contracts with several Goodyears in the area. Anyone can give away free service or %s off, but NO ONE does oil changes! Its so practical. Oil changes are around $30 retail, we buy them for $12 each. Then, we give them the '$30 value' for the referral. It gets them in the doors for tires and other services. We promote within the stores offering special pricing for Goodyear customers who utilize a promo code on the flyer. We also cross promote to our own customers who receive $19 oil changes at any of the participating locations.

We've given away $20 Caribou/Starbucks giftcards in the past, but the oil changes are less expensive for us and just as effective.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  6. lawnguy01

So, for every $12 investment, we end up with @ least $300 in service. A typical referral will take multiple services, usually clean up and the lawn care program. Then, that usually leads to a paver patio, driveway, retaining wall or other land/hardscaping. After all of that, $12 is really nothing! lol
  7. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Awesome! great idea man! I love seeing people think outside the box!
  8. lawnguy01

Hey, Thanks!! Its great to get positive feedback from other guys in the industry! Appreciate it!