Ideas for setting 5ft Rocka steps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CBlandscaping, Oct 9, 2013.

1. CBlandscaping

CBlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Anyone know a good tool or system for setting the 5ft Techo bloc Rocka steps or something similar? Techo tools block clamp does not open wide enough or close tight enough to use on this size step and was wondering what other people do and or use? I have to set 14 of these next week and need some ideas Thanks

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

4 guys and two ratchet straps? Forks on a skid steer? What's the site like

3. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

We have a few different size clamps made by Probst that we use, we also have a vacuum clamp. But those are pretty expensive.
    What do you have for equipment? If you have a mini-ex you can use straps and sling them into place.
    Or skid steer and forks, but cover the forks with something to protect the material.

Or, couple of strong guys and a hand cart or wheel barrow will get it done.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I just set 10 of the 4 footers, I used my 121 with thumb. I put a 2 x 4 on the back and front side. I lift them to just above where they go and set them on two other 2 x 4's. Then we lift one end and pull the wood out.....

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

What's a 121? Does Suzuki or Kawasaki make that?

:laugh:

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Kubota 121 my friend!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

We just set 17 yesterday. Used a mini ex with straps. Pretty easy and cheap.

8. CBlandscaping

CBlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a mini ex to set them with, I think I will be going the sling route but is there any good way to remove the slings from underneath and then still be sure that you have no void spaces under the step that will not get compacted and cause movement down the road? I am planning on burying 4x8x16 solid concrete blocks underneath to get embedment under the steps.

9. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Set these by hand, shovel,digging bar and a skidsteer whenever we could, hopefully someday have a mini. It's a bad picture. I think these Rocka steps are like 300 pounds.

DSCF0158.jpg