1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for this bed? Planted something questionable.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by johnny5, Jun 30, 2007.

1. johnny5

johnny5 LawnSite Member

This is the first that I designed, built, and planted. I really enjoy how it turned out except I do not like the weeping cherry on the right side. It seems to big and not proportional and it is in a elevated showcase position. My original idea was to put a Jap Maple, but the house faces south. It is located in Buffalo NY. Here are pics:

Any ideas what to replace with:

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4398.jpg

2. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I like everything but the tree on the corner. Anything that blocks the front windows on a house is bad news in my opinion. Curb appeal is key, but you are blocking veiws of the house. Plus it makes it look uneven. I would have used a pampas grass with some color. Keep up the good work my friend.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

The gold threads will get huge. They never look good trimmed. Consider using them in a mass far away from the house.

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

That tree is way too close to the house. It should be at least an 8 ft radius from any structures. It's a stick now and looks cute. It'll be a problem in 5 years.

5. johnny5

johnny5 LawnSite Member

I know the tree is too big and I am looking to replace it with something else. Just not sure what. ANy ideas, or suggestions?

6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Are those blue star junipers around the cherry? Or are they wormwood. I can't tell in the picture.

Remove some of the shrubs, replace with tasteful perrenials.

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

For that location...how about a shrub instead of a tree?

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure what the issue is with not using a Japanese Maple. Is it that they can't take the cold or they get sun scald in the spring when they face south in your area? We use them fully exposed all the time with no issues. The composition lends itself very well for a low wide plant of interest like a cutleaf weeping variety of JM.

I know you want a showcase type plant for that spot, but a low wide broadleaf like a rhododendron would work very well. The only thing that is weak from an aesthetic point of view in your composition is the spiral on the chimney. That area is screaming for something heavier looking in my opinion.

I would not be afraid of maintaining that, but I would not be taking shears to the goldthread. Careful and time consuming hand pruning works great.

9. johnny5

johnny5 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response.
    With the japanese maple, it is a matter of the southwest wind coming into it, and the area does have full sun. From what I gathered it is not a good combination and have read that it will die. If I could have I would love to place one there.

10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

is that wheaping cherry a snow fountian?