Ideas for under deck in wet grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quality Cuts, May 13, 2002.

1. Quality Cuts

Quality Cuts LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I was wondering if there is anything else to use under the mower deck besides Mow-deck for wet grass? I have heard of people useing desiel fuel. Just hosing the deck in the morning before mowing. Also is there a spray that is like a silicone for under the deck that actually works (so I won't have to spray between every yard or at the end of every day?) Also would it be worth my while to sand the bottom of my deck and repaint or powerdcoat it? Or should I buy clear coat in a can?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

in real soupy high grass conditions ,i dont think anything is going to keep the baffles clear.jmho

3. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Quality Cuts,

In preperation of cutting with all this rain, I was just doing a wet weather operational search my self. To answer your question to Mow-deck alteratives: WD-40, JB Blaster, Liquid wrench with Teflon coat, Pam or any cooking spray. All work to some degree. Maybe to get you thru the morning wet hours. Treatments work well on the blades and metal or plastic catchers also. I know of some one in town who has spoken of using desiel fuel. I have never tried it. I guess that you are concerned about the cost of mow deck. When retreating you can often just knock off areas of buildup and just treat spots. Once I tried with no luck to locate Linseed oil because it is the primary content of non-stick cooking sprays. Personally would not repaint the underside of deck. Maybe wax it. This all brings back memories of my old walkers that always clogged I think I better go now.

Best wishes conditions are only temporary!
    Might try inflating the tires or raise the blades for the day.

We all deserve some success for our efforts.
    I

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Another 'trick' is to mount lo-lift blades and back the rpms down a bit (I run at 3/4 throttle instead of full throttle) when mowing wet grass. Less vacuum under the deck=less buildup... and more mowing between scrapings.

And do not use gator blades in wet grass...this is just asking for more clumps and buildup.

5. The best thing I've found is a gallon of mineral spirits mixed with about a quart of used motor oil. I started scraping the decks, then spraying this mix on with a pump sprayer.
    Anything other than mineral spirits would be a flame thrower looking for an ignition source.
    Lowes has mineral spirits for $1.98/gal
    I've been scraping and spraying every day for the past couple of weeks. The decks are getting shinnier every day and easier to clean. On a really wet and rainy day I can just squirt them off with a garden hose. On drier days they need scraped a little more.
    The best scraper I've found was a little short handle hoe my wife had for working flower beds. Then I made one like it out of a piece of an old mower blade welded to a piece of pipe. It works even better because the steel's a little harder than the steel that the deck's made of. I just sharpen it with the grinder.
    I'll post a picture of it if anybody wants to see it.

I've tried other things without much luck.

Repainting didn't last thru April.
    Tried painting them with used motor oil. It's a real mess, drips on everything.
    Went thru a whole gallon of WD-40 in a pump sprayer. Not worth what the WD-40 costs.
    I havn't tried Mow-Deck or Mow-E-Z. I have so many decks, I use a gallon of mineral spirits every day.

Dave

6. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

we use mow-eze. it does a pretty good job. but i think the best way is just to keep it clean. on those days that are really wet, i take my mowers to the car wash and hose them off, i have walkers and i just flip teh decks up and hose them clean.

7. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

For those farmers out there, has anyone ever tried gravity box paint? I know we are talking a completely different application, however, I know it is super slick.

No matter what we apply under our decks, eventually you have to re-apply. I am not too keen on applying something every day, but if I can get away with once a week, hey more time to be cutting.

8. swn

swn LawnSite Member

That's what I like about my grasshopper. You can flip the deck up and clean it out real good.

9. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

swing by the car wash and "blast it" at the end of a "wet" grass day when it is still easy to get off. 5 or 10 minutes each day is a lot quicker than scraping once it has dried (not to mention the smell).

10. Miller Mowing

Miller Mowing LawnSite Member

Spray on a can of Slip-plate on the underside of your mower decks. I have found this works well. Just make sure the bottom is clean and dry when you apply it. I think all Tractor Supply Corp. stores carry it, as well as Quality Farm and Fleet, Big Blue, some hardware stores, and many JD dealerships. It is generally used by farmers, for coating the inside of grain wagons, truck beds, etc. Just use it anywhere a all-around slick surface is needed.

Hope this helps,

Neal :)