1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for unloading leaf trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wherebluegrassgrows, Nov 4, 2004.

1. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

I have a 6.5X12 trailer boxed in with 6 foot sides and debris loader is mounted to the front. My first idea failed because leaves weighed too much.
    I tried running a chain link fence in the trailer attaching a chain to pull the fence from the front over the leaves to the rear. The chain just started stretching half way through and wouldn't finish the job.I spent over an hour hand and foot unloading. Anyone know a better way.
  2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I use a strong oak pallet for mine. Reinforced with some angle iron. Try that it works for me. I have a 5 x 12 with 7 ft sides and a good cable hooked to the pallet. Try that I think you'll be fine..
  3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Unload the same way with the loader.
  4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i do the same thing but kinda a different version.... i have a 7x18 with 6 foot sides. i use 2 pallets side by side (one slightly over lapping the other) and use 2 20ft logging chains. lean the pallets up against the front of the trailer at roughly a 60 degree angle and run the chain through the middle of the two pallets so both are "looped" the run the excess of the chain on the floor of the trailer to the back. it takes me 2 chains to do this do to the length of my trailer but may only take you one .... hook the other end of the chain to the gate so u know where it is once the trailer is full. When you get to the dump to empty the trailer take the end off of the gate and have one of the front end loaders come over to your trailer and " chain up " to the bucket. then they just back up and out comes the trash. no work involved other than putting the pallets and chain back in the trailer. hope this helps ya out .
  5. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pallet ideas. Worked great saved me a ton of time.
    Thanks again.