1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on a bog filtration.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you who build bogs like Firefly and AZ, is there any kind of routine maintenance you have found necessary. In the large bog, pond combination I built I put in a cleanout for each lateral just in case. Do you ever have to clean the gravel? I am bidding another nice pond right now and am debating on using the bog again.

The other one I did still has great clarity. Seems to be really well balanced already.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We pull the pump quarterly and clean it out. Then we put a pvc cap with a threaded valve stem on the outgoing side and run the air compressor up to about 40-45 lbs and blow out the line. It starts looking like the bog is boiling.

The funny part is this is just what the pond owner has asked us to do, kind of a peace of mind kind of thing to see everything is still flowing. I had nothing to do with it except mounting the valve stem in a cap as opposed to blowing air into a pipe while holding a rag over the end. :dizzy: If it ever does not work I don't know what we would do short of ripping the bog apart. This one has been working about 3 years with no problems, it is a 8,000 gallon pond.

The H/O also applies a biological product to oxygenate the water.
  3. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

I disagree with these numbers. Go to http://bogfiltration.com/bogfiltration.html , this is how we build ours. I promise you will want to install this version when it comes time to clean your bog. It is so easy to maintain this system verses having to tear out all the gravel to cleanout, which we just did last week for a customer.
  4. XStream Aquatics

Here is one we did in Atlanta, GA in July this year. The plants aren't in yet in the pic.

price 083 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
  5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Xtreme,
    Very nice link on the bog filters
  6. ponddude

ponddude LawnSite Member

What is a serpentine loop?
  7. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

Ive built a lot of bogs over the years and the way i do them now is a lot easier. The typical rule is for a bog is 10% of your pond size. I preferr bigger though. How we create our bog system is typically they are about 18" deep. We create a settlment chamber or void in the bottom of the bog usually around 8" deep using 8" cinder block we place a corrigated grate over the chamber. The way we clean out our bogs is to put a vault in so a pump can be used to suck out the crude that has collected in the chamber. To make it easier slant your bog toward the vault. We run a up flow pipe in and then we fill with gravel. We us different sizes of gravel the first being a 3-4" stone then wash 57 the a fine gravel placed on top of the grate. When we plant a bog we use plants that have an aggressive root systems iris, rushes, hardy canna, hardy umbrella palm, bog beans, parrots feather etc. I would stay away from using lava rock in a bog system because the porus make-up of the stone gets clogged with dirt and sediment. I use this system on large koi ponds 20x20 and up without U.V. and i have never had water clarity problems. Usually on a large koi ponds my bogs will be 30-40% size of the pond. Most homeowners dont understand how big a koi can get. A bog filtration system is the best way to go in my opinion if you have the space to build one.
  8. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

Where did you get the waterwheel xtreme? pond looks great!
  9. XStream Aquatics

It was donated from a local craftsman in the community.
  10. Leon

Leon LawnSite Member

Stay away from cattails, very invasive and harder than heck to dig out and remove. There are several others I don't use but don't remember right at the moment which ones.