Ideas on a bog filtration.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Jul 27, 2008.

1. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree about cattails, especially in a small system. It has been documented, however, that they are by far THE BEST aquatic plant for filtering most everything from the water column including heavy metals. I will use them in a large wetlands where some serious filtration is indicated, such as a highly run-off polluted earth bottom farm/country pond.

2. CGSI

CGSI LawnSite Member

I have built a few like some of the others on here. the best one was for my brothers swimming pond. It has been crystal clear since we put it in with no chems.

DSC00008 (Medium).JPG

08801 (Medium).JPG

DSC00087 (Medium).JPG

DSC00093 (Medium).JPG

084 (Medium).JPG

3. tadpole

Really looks great!! It appears to be quite large in comparison to swimming area. Did you have any problems with the local authorities on going chemical free?

4. CGSI

CGSI LawnSite Member

upper is about 8x10 and the lower is about 20 x 15 as far as local authories, we dont advertise it as a swimming pond he treats it as a ornimental pond that they occasionally get in to sometimes. ( actually the kids are in it quite a bit) here all swimming pools by law are supposed to have fences but not on onimental features.

5. ponddude

ponddude LawnSite Member

Where do you guys buy your drain pipe from? I am finding 6-8 pipe but have not had any luck finding 18" for the chimney?

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to build one for my pond at home!

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, do you have a "Wholesale Plumbing" near you? You should be able to get that drain pipe from any plumbing supply house or most landscape/drainage supply yards.

8. ponddude

ponddude LawnSite Member

I know you would think it would be easy to find, but I have talked to about 10 different wholesalers and none of them stock it. I was able to find one shop that could special order the 18" for $23 per foot.

9. tadpole

Are you really that concerned about cost? I would not use anything other than a pump vault manufactured for use in a wetlands system. They are engineered specifically for this purpose and are designed to achieve maximum water flow without sacrificing structural strength. It is my contention that if a customer is going to be that concerned with project cost, then they probably can't really afford it. I will not cut corners and compromise quality on any of my installs. If a potential customer wants a jury-rigged installation, I politely bow out.

10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

anyone have pics of building a bog with the serpentine pipe? and cleanouts?