Lawn Care Forum banner

Ideas on a smaller rig for more populated tight areas while getting into bigger jobs

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SterlingLawn&Landscape 
#1 ·
The area I started landscaping in and still operate out of has a lot of properties closer together. This makes it pretty difficult to get larger equipment trucks mowers etc. in for parking and traveling down tight streets.

I'm at the point where I definitely need to start getting some bigger equipment for new accounts and existing larger ones. At the same time I don't want to completely switch over replacing everything and lose the smaller accounts because I can't get to them easily with new gear. On the other hand its costly to just get a whole additional rig operational without selling some of the stuff I have now.

The smaller accounts are less profitable but I like the steady income and good customers I've had for a while, and don't like the idea of dropping clients. Currently I'm using SRW Pickup and a 12' Enclosed. Its decent for the small tighter areas but could definitely use bigger application on some larger accounts and any potential new ones.

Just curious if many of you guys out there have similar situations and run two operations one set up for the smaller outfits in tighter more populated areas and others rigs for bigger residences and commercial? If so I'm all ears for any ideas and possible setups you may run thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
My box truck is 18 feet shorter than the pick up & trailer I was using.
I think he is saying that the mowers go in the box truck. A good idea if you never have to bag. Also, quite a few of us up north use our lawn rigs to plow snow in the winter, so this might not be an option.

You could look into faster or more manueverable mowers. Scag has some very fast cheetahs. I know that the 52 cheetah can cover more ground than a standard 61 inch deck. Or look into stander type mowers. They are manueverable because of their compact footprint. This also helps out with the smaller trailers as you can get 3 standers in a space where 2 riders would fit.

#4 ·
That is a good idea! I was looking into some of the stander units Toro seems to make a nice one but no experience with them. They are cheaper than ZTR but would speed things up compared to the walk behind and are smaller could help me fit into small places and handle bigger accounts better until have the funds for another bigger rig to run in addition lol.

But your right about the Northeast be kinda pain to plow with a box truck, plus I do a lot of bagging.

#5 ·
I actually saw a few really nice SRW dump body's sounds silly I know. I just don't really like the inserts they wreck the truck bed and a true dump body is more heavy duty plus they make them in aluminum so little lighter for the SRW be a lot easier in tight areas than a full dually dump, but would help a ton for bigger places.

Newer SRW trucks seem to have pretty decent payloads now compared to older models. Some body's even have the side dump so you can dump while attached to the trailer.

#7 ·
I found a pic of a really nice one in aluminum I believe on this site a while back and saved the picture I'll see if I can find it apparently his was done in Canada can't remember who posted it though sorry... The side to side option is pretty standard as in lots of places offer it in my area.

I'm going to start asking in my area to see who is willing to do one just in a smaller SRW application, essentially same thing just smaller dimensions.

#8 ·
This is not my pic only sharing it found it while back.

Here is the truck craft link they make them like this pretty sweet idea,
http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=24&cID=

I'm trying to get the hydraulic controls of the style showed in the link put on a regular drop side dump body on a SRW like in the picture. I'd think would be awesome for efficiently tackling all the jobs in tighter areas.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Building

#10 ·
Get a large trailer. Larger mower.

Do small props with smaller mowers on the small trailer mom tue.

Do route with large props with the large trailer on wed thur.

When you buisness grows past the point that you need to add a second truck you will have two trailers set up to go.

#11 ·

When you buisness grows past the point that you need to add a second truck you will have two trailers set up to go.
This would work! Get an enclosed trailer with signage, though. Dont go cheap on the trailer though. Pm me and I can tell you what I did with mine. Upgrades with more money, but worth it.

#13 ·

Exactly what I do. My old 6.5'x12' cheap open trailer begining of the week, 8.5'X20' new enclosed trailer rest of the week and for equipment storage. Only downside is its an extra trailer to store but nice to have a spare and more hauling options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.