Ideas on landscaping around stump

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 2006Silverado, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

Customer is cheapo, so he doesn't want to pay to have stump ground. Any ideas to landscape this...Just bury everything in mulch and have a little replica ant hill made of mulch? It measures about 9'x12'.

Customer is getting to be PITA, wants everything cheaply. So even though he's going to be a PITA, I really would like to bid this right.

Thanks

100_3809.jpg

100_3809.jpg

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Don't do the mulch hill thing!!! One of my customers had me do that...it looked, for lack or a better term, absolutely ******** and useless. Finally this year i convinced her to have it ground...subbed it out and made some money on it, then I cleaned it up, put down topsoil and seeded....came out real nice!

It would probably come out about the same, if not less to have the stump ground down and you topsoiling and seeding the area.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like its flush to the ground pretty good so sow and mow right over the top of it. If it still appears unsightly then you can put a flower pot on it. You just can't have a nice lawn for nothing.

4. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

Actually it's like a little mound. Yeah the picture it looks flat, but it's not. Just hilly enough, but it doesn't really stick out enough that I could just leave the stump as the middle centerpiece. It's not sticking out of the ground, maybe at most an inch or two.

5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like a crepe myrtle was cut flush to the ground. If he fails to grind/remove the stump and associated roots it will send up an endless supply of suckers that you will need to weed eat or prune every two weeks or so. If you do decide to mulch over it, then construct a raised bed with Windsor wall or some other type of block, install heavy duty landscape fabric on the bottom in hopes of retarding the sucker growth, add topsoil and plant flowers. Of course, after all that expense.........you would probably spend what grinding the stump would have cost.

If you he won't go for grinding, here is a cheap alternative( ugly maybe, but cheap)........... secure plastic over the circle or some other cheap non-porous barrier and install a thick layer of pine straw over the area. You can add a sun dial over the stump or if he is really cheap...... a hub cap :)

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps you can suggest something like Stump Out to the customer.

http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=9159&openparent=1858

I wouldn't use it myself, but if I were so inclined, I'd first drill a lot of holes in the stump with a 1" to 1 1/2" bit as deep as I could go and then fill those holes with the chemical. Might take a couple or years, but I'd expect this treatment would eventually decompose the stump, especially if the holes were refilled with the chemical periodically. But if time can be considered to be worth anything, it seems to me that a stump grinder would be the cheapest and best solution.

7. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Explain to the idiot that it would cost more to landscape the stupid thing than grind it out....

My guy would do that for like 60 bucks ... how much landscape material could you buy with that?

8. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If the stump is above grade dig around it about 4-5 in deep and out from it a foot. hold a blower on it and scrap the dirt\rock away from the stump as you blow. Than cut the stump of with your chainsaw a few inch below grade. maybe scrap a little of the old dirt out put in some compost or peat and seed the stupid thing. 1 hr labor tops.

9. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

O I see some horizontal roots do the same may take a little longer.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Grind the stump out before you do anything else.