Ideas on removing brick overlay?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jan 1, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who has a poured concrete landing with two three steps, leading to his front entrance way. He overlayed the concrete pad with red bricks about 20 years ago. Now the bricks are cracking and spalling, so he wants them removed, and replaced with pavers (to match the driveway and walk way).

I expect given the age and weathered condition of the brick, they will most likely break and crumble as we remove them. It appears the mortar still has a significant amount of strength however.

What would you suggest be the best way to attack this project? I need to get to the concrete pad and I will need it as smooth as possible.

Our plan was to use a pneumantic chisel with a hand chisel and just start there. Not sure though how difficult it will be to seperate the moratar from the concrete pad. And how to (sand) the remaining mortar to get a smooth level surface.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.
  2. csl

csl LawnSite Member

we had a job like this not too long ago. the guy had poured a concrete wall and path that failed. so rather then overlay we grabbed our 185 cfm compressor and jack hammer. took about a day with 4 guys to remove about 12 yards of concrete and haul it off. made a huge difference is easability to get in the site and to do our job. i think your best bet is to rip it up, get a good base, and start over. this will eliminate any future problems you may have. if you do overlay, make sure you have him sign something that your work can not be warrantied because of the existing structure.
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This is how we handled flagstone VENEERED to a CONCRETE SLAB.

Used used an air chissel that is manufactured by EDCO.

This way, we did not have to remove the concrete slab. Cha-Ching!

We removed the flagstone and installed pavers!

4. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, tearing out the entire concrate pad and steps is not an option. The landing is 11' long x 6' wide. Their are three steps total. It is solid, and possibly reinforced with the existing foundation. The concrete itself is in good condition. Just the bricks which were overlayed are starting to crack, and look like crap.

Thanks for the though, and reply though.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

the tool shown in the pic above is designed for removing tile (I believe), but it worked good when we used it on mortared flagstone. Took a while, but it sure beat using a digging bar and sledge hammer.
  6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Air chisel or Hammer drill or combination of both.
  7. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Bricks are fired clay..very delicate and should break easily. Once you remove a few, the rest should go quickly.