Ideas on what trencher to buy

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by onedegree, Aug 26, 2006.

1. onedegree

onedegree LawnSite Member

I am in an area that contains a lot of rocks. Half the time I rent a big ride on trencher and half a walk behind. Sometimes the walk behind will wear you out trying to dig in the ground. I need something that will handle the work load and work in big/small/rocky conditions. I am wanting a reasonable priced machine and would like to spend no more than $10-$15K on a machine. If it really worked I may go more $. Any ideas on what you all have had good results with would be appreciated.

2. DeepRoots

DeepRoots LawnSite Member

i wish i could remember the model number, but i worked at a place 6-7years ago and we had a ditch witch that had a joystick for the rear wheels.

fully hydraulic. It was heavy enough that the blade would stop long before the machine would jump (when hitting something hard).

I even pulled up some 1inch galvanized pipe with it once, and it never kicked back or anything.... it was plain ole too heavy.

it was especially useful do to being able to cut angles and curves with ease, and it was the same size as most walk behinds.

Drew

3. DeepRoots

DeepRoots LawnSite Member

1820 is the model number.... i just looked it up.
    weights 1300lbs dry!!!

no wonder.
    We had the motor lock up on us once and 4 of us dragged it out of a yard.... figured it was heavy tho.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you were plowing, you'd want a machine that weighed at least a ton. Your budget could get you a used machine that could both trench and plow. The current heavyweights of the 'garden-gate' machines are the Vermeer LM-42 and the Ditch Witch 410sx ~ either one tops 3000 lbs.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We have a ditchwitch 410sx walkbeside trencher/plow. Its a great rig.

6. I own four DitchWitch trenchers, a 1010 walk behind, 1620 walk behind, j20 rider and 2310 rider with backhoe and boring unit. The 1620 is the overall best trencher. I can get the 1620 in fenced in yards and it has hydraulic steering. The 1620 is about the same as the 1820 but with a 16hp motor.

7. Dirty Water

We also have a 3500 rider, but its starting to show its age (despite only having 1600 hours). We may consider replacing it with a new Ditchwitch RT55, especially considering their special financing deal right now.

[​IMG]

Though, the 3500 has been a rocksolid trencher, there are just a few parts that repeatedly fail.

8. Some 3500's have gearbox problems.

9. Dirty Water

Ours has been entirely related to the trencher drive motor and bearings.

Three times now. Each time sets us back over 2 grand.

Since DitchWitch doesn't have a dealer very close to us I haven't had a chance to look at the new RT series, which size compares to the 3500? We would like to go up one size from it, so its either the RT40 or the RT55.

10. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Check out the RT350 or RT450 at www.vermeer.com They may fit your needs if a walk behind is too slow. Also you can link to a local dealer (Tulsa) or go to the used equipment link on the same web page. A dealer may have a trade in or used machine in inventory that may fit your price range. If that does not work check out your local dealer as they may have equipment at a branch facility.