1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideas/Opinions on Rubber Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KCLawnCareService, May 21, 2012.

1. KCLawnCareService

KCLawnCareService LawnSite Member

Anyone have experience with using Rubber Mulch? Being in Southern Indiana we do not see a lot of this in our area. Looking for insights, pros/cons of using this material. Everything I have researched looks to be a great product. Wondering if it is something worth a gamble in and around this area. Could be a good way to dip into the landscape area of business. Right now I am just beginning to mow on the side for extra income. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The only place I could see Rubber being anywhere near useful would be playgrounds or anyplace where children are playing, like back yard jungle gyms etc.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I've removed a lot of it from peoples beds.
  4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

they banned it from school playgrounds around here they *said* you can see the steel belts and get pricked from tires.....
  5. greentech2007

greentech2007 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Give the spawn tetanus shots. :rolleyes: :hammerhead: Nothing suprises me.
  7. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Man i hate that stuff. Y
    es it holds its color...KINDA! but its not like regular mulch that "mends" together. This rubber mulch is Forever loose. We always end up blowing it out of the beds... Also on one of my resi' accounts, after every storm this mulch ALWAYS rolls right out of the bed into the lawn. Then the customer comes out and ask me "Why is my lawn SO patchy right here???" (Yes we fertilize his lawn) Its because the mulch is lodged in the soil preventing the grass to grow.

I agree with the comment above, The only place i would ever put it is around a play-set.
  8. KCLawnCareService

KCLawnCareService LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate your input. Now what most would you recommend? I am in Southern Indiana. Thanks!
  9. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Im more of a Natural guy... so usually i would say a nice Dark Double shredded Hardwood. But recently my supplier has been carrying this died brown hardwood.
    It looks really good once its dry. We laid over 300 yards of this at one location...Only problem with this mulch is it holds its color longer so i wasnt approved to lay more of it this year since it still looks good .

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate that $hit! It just looks horrible! So do all of those dyed mulches.... When I see any of that stuff the first thing that comes to mind is "what hack installed this landscape?".