Ideas to illuminate right side of house...

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by andersman02, Sep 23, 2012.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

So we did my first lighting job a few weeks back for a friend, lighting went up easy enough and like I thought would happen, the left side of the house (right side from the street) looks "left out" during the night times. We got a 4.5w uplight for the ninebark trees on the right but ended up not using it as I didnt want to cause to much clutter along with uneven lighting on the two entrance trees (they didnt want to install a conduit for the other tree).

how do you guys think i could give the right side ( from the street) some attention during the night? We do have an extra smallish up light that could be used, i was thinking something along the lines of lighting up the rock and hydrangea with the corner of the house as a backdrop but wasnt sure howd that would look.

We can also still return the small flood for a different fixture as we havent openned it yet.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry dont have any better pics of that side

2. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Transformer looks bad being on the front of the house. And lift it off the ground if you want to satisfy nec

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

And as an aside, who plants a tree under the eaves like that? Looks like they're asking for trouble in a few short years.

4. andersman02

homeowner wanted to keep it near the entrance, the hydrangeas should block it in a year... as for the trees, they shouldnt get much taller and they will be pruning it to keep shape, the original ones were a smaller cutlivar but they didnt have any in stock unfortunatly

5. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Your job as a "professional" is to install the transformer in a location you see fit. I cant think of one reason a homeowner would want it in front of their house. They have no reason to ever open the transformer or need to access it on a hourly basis to be in such easy reach of it.... When you raise the transformer off the ground to the appropriate level it will take much longer for your bush to block it.

6. andersman02

Alright, what would be the minimum height off the ground? Also how would you go about placing this ttransformer? Place on the right side of the house?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Andersman, If you are going to continue to do lighting jobs, you ought to check the NEC code. It is very detailed. For simplified guidelines (still based on the code) go to the AOLP website where you can download a several-page guide to best practices.

8. andersman02

Thanks starry night ill definately take a hard look over the winter
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have the vast amount of lighting knowledge some of these guys do, but i would have tried to sell architectual lighting on the house. Just not much to light up in the front as far as specimen plants IMO.

And if you want to sell more lighting jobs, you need a nice camera. I bought one that was recomended on this forum and it takes incredible pics compared t what i was using. It has really been a great sales tool.

10. andersman02

The guy is a friend (son of old boss) so i can still definately add on to it, the only problem is he didnt want to put in a conduit under the sidewalk, woulld some down light look nice? I was just thinking if we down light the right side, the left would look left out... Maybe something subtle?
    Posted via Mobile Device