Identify and treat these weeds...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by pghsebring, Oct 13, 2009.

1. pghsebring

pghsebring LawnSite Member

This is some sort of flower, a single stem grows about 9" tall, but i've never seen what the flower looks like...first weed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another flower...second ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And more weeds...third type...

[​IMG]

More...fourth...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Way down in there, kindof neon yellow/green...fifth weed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, sixth weed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, is there any one product i could apply to take care of all of these, or is there a regimen that you'd recommend to take care of all these different types of weeds...

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes there is, it is called your right or left hand, pick one or both
    In the time it took you to snap those pictures the weeds would be gone

3. pghsebring

I could weed 8000 sqft in the time it took to snap 10 pics? Really? You must be fast.

I was looking more along the lines of spraying the lawn, or something along those lines - there are probably thousands of individual weeds in different areas...i only took a few pics of the main ones, and only one of each...

So is there a herbicide that will kill all those different types of weeds, or two herbicides, or a herbicide and a preemrgent next spring, etc...

4. Kylec3

Kylec3 LawnSite Member

spray the whole lawn and start over

5. milike

milike LawnSite Member
    from MI

ouch...a bit much, but IT WOULD WORK :weightlifter:

6. pghsebring

Its october 13th...i live in pittsburgh pa. Assuming i spray the lawn tomorrow, how long before i can reseed? And would reseeding it actually work this late in the year - especially after i've waited for everything to die?

BTW - what type of grass is in the background of this pic?

[​IMG]

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Too tall. I think you need to mow more often. Google these weeds to get good pictures. The weeds, I think: 1 Orange hawkweed. 2. Pensylvania smartweed. 3. Tall fescue. 4. Chickweed. 5. Clover. 6. Don't know. 7. Possibly tall fescue again.

A good Threeway or Ortho Weed B Gone Max would be a good choice for these weeds. Except that for tall fescue--you must dig it out.

Rather late to spray and seed. But if you must--spray weeds and wait 10 days--4 days if you are in a hurry. Try to seed before frost--seed comes up very slow when temps don't get above 50 during the day. Use top quality seed. Add starter fertilizer. Water every day for 30 days. Good luck.

8. pghsebring

Thank you for your help - i appreciate it a lot.

It definitely doesn't get cut enough, and i know that's what contributed to this mess. It is going to get cut more frequently from now on. In fact, i took those pics right before i cut it all. Which doesn't help now that i have to pull the tall fescue out...

If i don't go with the "kill it all and start over" plan, is there another option? Can i overseed and then spray with one of those sprays mentioned above once the new grass has grown in a little? Or do i just spray one of those now, then overseed in the spring?

Riggle, if this was your lawn, what would you do?

9. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

try weed id .com to answer your questions about weeds that way you won't get any smart answers once you identify them go to lesco or john deere landscapes they can point you in the right direction as to what to use. Just to let you know you need a license and a bu number and ins. to treat any lawn other than your own even if you do it for free, or they buy the materials and you put it on, or even barter for services.

10. pghsebring

Here's part of the lawn as it currently is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been cut down to 1" (i went over it twice, once on a higher setting, once at the second lowest), and i bagged the clippings (except for a few that the mower wouldn't get).

Does it look unsaveable? There is a lot of grass in there...there's just several areas of weeds along with weeds interspersed.

So, do i try to fix this by A) overseeding this fall and apply preemergent/selective weed killer in spring, B) selective weed killer now, overseed in spring, or C) kill it all and restart today. My goal is to have a lawn that is conducive to selling in the spring some time, april or so...

PS. Whats the cheapest way to kill the whole lawn if that's the way to go?