Identify Black Triangular BUg with orange stripes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mcambrose, Aug 25, 2004.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing Monday and a lot of black triangular bugs with two orange stripes get jumping onto my mower. What is the bug called? Is is a problem for he turf. The yard look generally yellowish, but it was probably low on N because of the excessive rain we have received this summer.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Could be Box Elder Bugs, but need a photo to confirm.

3. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

If it is a box elder bug they are more of a nuisance getting into the house or buildings than actually damaging the lawn/trees.

4. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

Sounds like box elder. They like to hide in wood shingles and are usually in the hundreds in numbers.

5. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

in south ga. i see a lot of spittle bugs. i think box elders have longer legs than spittle bugs.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You are describing a spittle bug. Nymphs of the spittle bug are harmful to turf because they suck juices from the plants.

7. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

8. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you all for the replies. It is the two-lined spittle bug. How much of an infestation is needed to show stress on the turf. On one property, I was seeing 10-20 on my mower deck every time I passed a certain spot. I thought the grass needed N. I guess it may be the spittle bugs. Is there a number per sf that is supposed to be the threshold for treatment?