identify this grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ffemt1271, Apr 1, 2008.

1. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

a friend of mine just bought this house, please identify this grass for him, and what will kill it. Thanks

badgrass1.JPG

badgrass2.JPG

badgrass3.JPG

badgrass1.JPG

badgrass2.JPG

badgrass3.JPG

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, looks like some body planted ornamental grass in the lawn.. if you were farther north i'd say you have a bare lawn that was overseeded with tall fescue.

3. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

its perennial rye grass. It will be gone as soon as it warms up a bit. You could very carefully spot treat with Glyphosate (Round-up). Its hard to tell in the pic if there is desirable grass around the clumps or not, if not then just kill it out.

A lot of builders throw out grass seed mix to have some green and this is what it normally ends up like.

4. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yep...perennial or annual Rye. Typical contractor tactic to close on the house. Like dwc said it will be history as soon as that La. heat starts beating up on it in the next few weeks. Pick a good warm season turf (St. Augustine, Zosyia, Hybrid-Bermuda) and sod or sprig as there may not be much viable turf left and weeds will have a party.

5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Kill it off with Image, be sure to use a sticker with it.

6. BocaChris

BocaChris LawnSite Member

Hmm looks like liriope to me.

7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I first thought Liriope too but the leaf blades are too shiny and Liriope is a little stiffer looking, they don't flop over quite so much. Perennial Rye would be my guess.

8. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

we have also come to the conclusion that it's perennial rye, thanks for the replies