Identify this problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rwise10230, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

Area shrubs are loaded with this problem. Let the games begin........identify the disease, insect or fungus causing the problems shown on the attached pictures. I think I have the answer and it's not physical damage.

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0030.JPG

DSCN0029.JPG

DSCN0028.JPG

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Is it spray drift?

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to know what it is too. I have alot of shrubs around here like that.

4. Williams Services

One of the nursery guys in the area here said those hollies are subject to a twig blight. Could it be that?

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

i thought it was fire blight on my boxwoods, it happened after I pruned the boxwoods.

6. Jaysvols

Jaysvols LawnSite Member

In my experience, problems with boxwoods usually boil down to wet or dry soil. If the soil is fairly wet, it could be root rot. In this case, it doesn't look like it. More than likely it is English boxwood disease, not treatable by fungicide, prune dead and fertilize and maintain good water to plants. If that doesn't help, plant new shrubs, not more boxwoods though. Hope that helps.

7. Williams Services

That looks like an ilex vomitoria to me ... is it just me?

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like what a drunk college student does to the bushes outside the fraternity...

9. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering, any black on the stems or little bumps? Anything unusual on the under side of the leafs?

10. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

or many things!!