Identify this wood

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Petr51488, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Can anyone identify this wood? Is it good for burning? and does anyone know any tricks on how to tell whether its a hardwood? (not this piece, just any piece. Other than its weight)

Picture 2132.JPG

Picture 2133.JPG

Picture 2134.JPG

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Tamarack it looks like.Yes it is a hard wood and exellent to burn.You can tell if it is a hard wood by sticking an axe in it.If it is a hard wood you will know it.But I 'm pretty sure it is Tamarack

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Your sure it's a hardwood and its good to burn though right? Thanks!

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely looks like some kind of hardwood to me. You can burn ANY kind of hardwood with no problem. NEVER EVER burn pine!!!

5. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Well it aint:

Ironbark
    Mulga
    Tassie Oak
    Redgum
    Blackbutt
    Jarrah
    Marri or
    Sheoak...:rolleyes:

sorry...couldn't help myself:waving:

6. mhtimberland

mhtimberland LawnSite Member

It looks like maple to me it will be very good for burning after it has dried out.

7. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

It's just a nasty old silver maple...you should be happy to see it down...no more leaves.
    Lots of moisture in those trees, might want to use a machine to split immediately and let it season in pieces.

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, Exactly, Exactly. Never heard of Tamarac in the NorthEast.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We've got Tamarac here in the northeast it just isn't real common in a lot of areas.
    And yes, it will never dry without getting pretty nasty without splitting it. It's only a mediocre wood for heat, but it still burns...........

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That's a bunch of crap,Tamerack burns real slow so its great to throw on after you get your coals going WITH PINE and nice and hot.Will burn for hours and put out nice heat..This is coming from a person whos only source of heat is a woodstove.