Identify?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Aug 30, 2005.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

two of these solenoids are bad... would like to replace just the solenoid cuz the valves are going to be hard to spin out... they are real deep by the way... I put my foot in it and the hole went past my knee...

anyway.. anybody know if they still make them? They are rainbird with flow control...

PICT0676.JPG

2. BSME

from Midwest

it doesnt look as deep as is it... i swear....

PICT0675.JPG

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You can pick up replacement parts at Home Depot. You should replace all the internal guts though. The entire stem/actuator/plunger (whatever you want to call it on this valve). My local HDs have all the replacement parts.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

They aren't in the 2005-2006 catalog. It might be possible that the entire operating part can be spun out and replaced with a valve convertor made for a Champion brass valve. (Irritrol still makes those)

5. BSME

from Midwest

HD huh? that explains a lot about this system...

Every time I go into that place I can't help but walk by the sprinkler parts to see what kind of nipple problem a homeowner is getting advice for... but I always want to take off my shirt that has the company name on it because I get embarassed being seen by those parts...

I'll keep that advice in mind Wetboots if they dont have it

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I think RB called them "Y" valves, they would be 3/4" and the solenoid is specific. RB dealers used to be able to order them, and they are a "residential" grade product for the knock off hardware store market. Personally, if you can get T & M, dig it up and replace it. I know, pita, but you won't be sorry.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm loving the junction box just hanging out in there :)

If its T&M, replace them all... :)

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they are Rainbird Y valves.

Don't make it any harder than it needs to be. If you don't have time to dig that up, because you will be digging out side the box to put in a telescoping slip fix or compression fiitting to get the pipe back together, then just replace the simple components. Will replacing the entire valve make the system that much better? No, it wont. Replacing the REPLACEABLE components will get it to operate the way it was originally designed and installed.
    Have you heard the saying "You can't polish a turd?" Well that fits with these situations. Sure it's a homeowner job. Just fix it. If you can get them to pay you for hours of digging and replacing, great. But they would probably appreciate it more if you can fix it to the point that it works just as it did before, for a heck of a lot less money.
    Probably my least favorite job is rebuilding manifolds. I know I'm a sprinkler tech, but I hate using a shovel.

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, but can you still BUY the valves or the kit so you can replace them? I rebuilt a few of these a LONG time ago, but I haven't tried to acquire the parts lately, I thought bird quit making this valve.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can. HD had them a week or two ago. From what I have heard in the past, anytime a product in any industry is discontinued, replacement parts must be available for a certain number of years. 10-20 from what I heard. They did change these parts a little, so if you buy the entire guts to replace, the solenoid is very similar to the DV solenoid now.