identifying parts??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ajlandscaping, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

yesterday i was doing some maintanaince on our sprinkler system we had 7 busted heads well being i want to start getting into this area of business i decided to fix them up for my parents well i start getting into these and noticed that i couldn't find any type of way to identify these things i couldn't figure it out for the life of me and i just wanted to know how you guys figure out what parts are needed when you repair others systems do you ask them what they have and just buy the same size head to do the job.

2. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I'm just starting out as well and have done a few repairs over the past couple of weeks. What I've done is try to get all the info I can over the phone to give me an idea of what's going on. Heads, system, controller, etc.

Then I do a bit of research on them so I know what to test and look for. Coming here and doing a search for common problems associated with 'XYZ' is a huge help.

If I do end up doing some replacing I pick up a couple extra of hatever it is so I have them on hand.

One day I hope to have a loaded service truck. Until then I keep plowing my $$$ back into tools, testers, valves, heads and solenoids.

~

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen a sprinkler head without a brand and model number on it.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There's a word for sprinkler heads without visible markings.

Landfill

5. ajlandscaping

there probably could have ben a number on it and stuff but worn off over time this system we have is like 20+ years old

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Well, are they rotors or impact heads?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A 20+ year old head is replaced, not repaired. There are some impact-head models that can be refit, without digging out the entire head. Consider taking one of them to your local distributor for an ID.

8. ajlandscaping

we are replacing all the busted sprinklers with new ones were not fixing them just putting in new ones