1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Idiot For The Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Oct 23, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

OK, heres what I did. I usually get prepared for lawn cutting the night before. I waited until this morning to get prepared. I had to pull one mower off the trailer and put a different one on. No problem , right? About 1 1/2 miles away from home I noticed my trailer gate was still down! I couldn't here it dragging. If anyone asks me about it , I'll just tell them that I had to grind down part of the trailer gate!
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel too bad, back in the beginning of this year I had a costly episode with my then new truck. If you care to find my post it was titled "I want to cry". It will make you feel a little better.
    Stuff happens to all of us. Smile and learn from it. Have a nice day.
  3. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

You just reminded me to add yet another item to the old "mental check list." I've got to admit it is easy to do. I have an enclosed trailer with the double swing doors on the back. There have been a few times where i was about to pull away, and decided to jump out and make sure that they were shut. A few times i forgot to latch them.

At least nothing terrbile happened like a mower sliding off the back into traffic, or something like that.

We all make stupid mistakes. Aren't they the worst kind??

4. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I just hope no one has seen the stupid things that happen. I just want to know how often we get out zero turns stuck in a ditch?
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

This makes my day . Other people do this to.
    Iguess we are just human rather than stupid.
  6. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

You got 1.5 miles before you noticed it? You must have one of those loud hippie type stereo systems in your truck. The farthest I have got was about 1.5 yards.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

That's funny, I had my spraying trailer hooked up today and did the same thing. My son was at the drive when I turned around and he was laughing at me. To much on my mind I guess.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Jaclawn, With the windows rolled up and the radio on and heater fan on full blast, I couldn't hear a thing. Also the mower that I put on was a Grasshopper with a bagger unit on the back. It impaired my veiw of the gate. I guess the bright side of the story is that it probably will never happen again.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Man,I get my DCstuck in my ditch at least once a month-what a pain-it gets frame hung in the rear-even worse because of the trac-vac bracket.I am a amazed at how easy it is to get this stuck in a ditch-but on anything else itll go up any hill or over anything-just no good in ditches.
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I thought I was a big dummy when coming to that stuff and now I can look back and laugh. I think everyone has a story or two to share.