Idiots guide to mowing lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MR HYDROSEED, Feb 20, 2006.

1. MR HYDROSEED

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

I plan on adding a lawn service this year. I plan on getting a 50" ZTR, i have trimmers and blowers and just about everything else I think I need but...
    I'm worried of overlooking something really obvious when I'm out there on my first mowing jobs. Right now I mow my 1 acre lawn with a Craftsman 20hp tractor, it takes like 2 hours a week to do it and at took a comment from a landscaping friend to get me to mow diagonally. Any pointers you can give to the new guy? I was planning on getting a walker at first but after being convinced that collecting clippings is just way to much of a pita i decided to go with a medium sized ZTR that is somewhat quick. My primary goal for customers will be 1/2-1 acre high end homes and maybe some soccer fields in the area.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Don't get me wrong and don't take offense but I would maybe start out with some "less picky" people if you haven't really mowed before. Starting out on high end homes might be a mistake. If you are even lucky enough to get a couple of these homes, I'm sure they are like the usual types who live there, Picky and want nothing but perfection and I think it takes a couple of years to be at that level. Alternating mow pattern's is lawn care 101. There is more to it than getting on a new rider and mowing. By the way that Zturn is going to be like night and day vs. that Crapsman you have.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly, i used a craftsman tractor for my home and after "test mowing" an ariens z turn mower it killed me to use the craftsman again. i now own a simplicity broadmoor, it is a tractor, but a top of the line one. for me a tractor has more use than a Z