1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

idiots quoting prices without seeing property

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetlou, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou LawnSite Member

Nothing bothers me more than some moron advertising 20.00 per cut any lawn.I know what everyone says that no big deal they'll be out of business before you know it, but the stupidity is why some people look at us like second class citezens.We all know every property is different some have alot of flower beds alot of edging etc.So why in the world would you quote 20$ without seeing what your up against.Around here I would say your average property lot is 80*100 just to break even your looking at 20$ between gas time & labor.What this does is give the customer ammo to give you the whole "I can get it done for X amount" then you have to give them the whole rebuttal of how you dont want to deal with some fly by night etc.Guys like this need a good smack to wake the X@$%$# up,and stop selling us all short.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

tell me about it, theres a crew in town that does "Any lawn for $99.95 a month!" whenever a prospective client tells me, "well i can get it done for only XX.XX amount" i sell them on our quality. and if they dont buy that, then they arent the type of clients who care enough about their property to make it worth my time.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

There is someone for everyone. I get calls sometimes for people wanting their lawn mowed, the problem is some of these are in places that I'm not going to send my trucks to. That is when I like to remember people like this phone numbers. We tell them we are full but these people are looking for work.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

$99.95 x12mths /28 cuts = $42.80 ie $40 plus tax. little fyi.

5. PTSolutions

from OH

why are you multiplying by 12 months??
    we have a 30 cut season in 7 months
    99.95*7=699.95/30=23 something and he doesnt charge tax, and there are lawns in our area we are cutting for 35 dollars.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A few of us spread cost across the entire year to make it look like a better deal for the customer.

7. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

If he dont charge tax then its even less per cut because if he is a legit business he will be paying those taxes regaurdless if he collects them or not.
    I am charging tax on top of all of my accounts and i havent had one argument when i explain that i will be paying the tax so theirfore i will be collecting it.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We talked to our customers about that but not a single one of them liked it so we never did it. They all said "I dont want to pay during the off season months". I wish we could talk some into doing it. Would be nice to have some money come in during the winter.

9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

If that's a flat rate, 12 months, with 100 customers his gross is $120,000. Forget overhead, time, etc., my guess is some kind of addition such as that is the reason for the offer.

10. PTSolutions

from OH

its a flat rate per month, only for cutting months!

tell me how your gonna convince a client to pay you 99.95 per month for 12 months when your only cutting 7 of those months??

if you wanted to spread costs over 12 months it would be:
    99.95x7months=699.95=total lawncare cost
    699.95/12=58.30=the check your getting per month from your client.

all my clients are billed per cut at the end of the month. our commercials send me a check every month for 12 months as we do both lawncare and snow removal. we add up the total lawncare cost for the season, then the total snow removal cost for the season, so say you come up with 9,000 for both, divide by twelve and your getting your monthly check.
    some of you guys need to read the posts more carefully...