idler spring

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by locutus, Sep 8, 2003.

1. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

exmark recommends greasing idler spring pivot under no load. removing the spring is one grand pain in the ars. does anyone have an efficient/safe way of removing this spring?

2. LoneStar_Lawns

LoneStar_Lawns LawnSite Member

try using a long piece or rope. Thread the rope through the sping eye and double it end to end and you can usually pull tuff springs off and reinstall them. Also works well changing belts ect ect where spring tension is encountered.

3. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

run the belt off of one of the pulleys like a bicycle chain, that will take the pressure off the belt, then roll it back on the pully.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

NCSERVICE, I did that once or twice until it occured to me that "no load" meant spring load. The belt tension at that pivot is secondary to the spring tension. That is what was keeping the grease from dispursing evenly. I am able to get the spring off but, I always get the feeling that I am about to loose some teeth.

5. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

if you take the belt off the tension spring should not have any load, or a lot less load so you can keep your teeth when removing.