1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Idol Gives Back

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jeffex, Apr 10, 2008.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I watch American Idol with my wife on tues & wed nights. In case you don't know what its about its a singing contest reality show. But Last night they got a bunch of celebs and singers together to raise money for the poor in this country and Africa. Worthy cause no doubt. My problem arises when they show the poor Americans who look like they don't miss tooo many meals at the fast food joint. We have a time in this country where illegal immigrants steal across the border to take any job they can get. The wages at most entry jobs are deflated because of this influx of cheap motivated labor . Before you call me a racist let me say I think the illegals are doing the RIGHT this by comming here . If I were in their shoes I would do the same thing. If you make it across the border there is an employer waiting to hire you and you will keep quiet and work like a dog. Just what they want. Liberals wait with open arms and free health care and drivers liscenses. Oh yeah by the way vote democrat and we'll give you more free stuff. My problem is with Americans. Employers and so called leaders who have looked the other way in their own self interest. With all the post this year about extreme lowballers and burned out markets I think the chickens have come home to roost. Many employers who helped lure illegals into this country have helped destroy the labor market and its wage structure. Poor people need assistance in getting on their feet not dependence. what was the old proverb about teaching a man to fish..... and feeding him for life? For all you landscapers out there who have been effected by a dilluted price in your market contact your elected officials and demand something be done about illegal immigrants. For all you employers out there who hire them I hope you day will come since the trojan horse you helped lure in this country has opened up and is killing the little guy who refuses to hire workers of questionable legal status (doesn't speak english but has a SS #) YES Americans are lazy but it doesn't give you the right to degrade the status of US citizen so you can cut a few lawns. Sorry I'll put my dollars in my "save America fund" and try and create a lobby for Americans to bribe (lobbist -same thing) our elected officials into looking out for REAl citizens. I gotta go cut some grass
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Bill Mahr says "Build a 2400 mile wal-mart on the boarder. Have Mexicans come in the back door to work, Americans use the front door to shop. They'd prob still only have one register open though". LOL
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh republicans are not without guilt in this issue . I have no doubt that many big landscape owners and Mfg. operations are republicans who want the cheap labor. the discussion of Iraq is for another message board or thread but your point is well taken. I should be more decicive in what I observe. I have always said the next generation of children born of the first illegals will take jobs away from LEGAL citizens and as time passes illegals will loose their fears of being caught. they will start their own businesses and take work away from Americans who can't compete with $25 for and acre or all day mowing for $80. These are posts that real business people are testifying to here on this message boardThey have NO incentive to follow any rules or pay taxes and carry insurance and they do good work. They have been REWARDED BY OUR COUNTRY FOR BREAKING THE RULES. As Idol pulls at our heart strings and our wallets with pictures of poor Americans I can't help but wonder why our gov. doesn't develope programs to teach these people how to run theri own cleaning, mowing, day care, janitorial, ...etc. businesses and assist them in getting work. OH but then they wont need to vote Dem. and look for a handout. what was I thinking. what idiot would kill its own golden goose. Or maybe thats what happened to some landscaper whose illegals went out on their own and put him out of business.