if a client called right now....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i got a call from someone who had my add from the newspaper. they want a leaf cleanup. sorry, we are closed till march, no exceptions, i don't care how much they are willing to pay. for the guys that are in the same season as me, would you do the job now? after your season is over, everything packed away, and u r in hibernation mode?

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

A full time LCO would do the work. Part timers some will some wont.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Hell no I have 6 or so of my own that I could of finished this past week no thank you I am done for the year.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Tell ya what bobby.

That job, not matter how small, is gonna be a freakin' mess. After all this rain, those leaves will be so matted you will need a farm tractor and york rake to get them to the curb (I don't care how many guys you got with rakes, Redmax 8000 BP's, tarps, you name it).

Secondly, it's going to take you twice (if not more) the time to do this job as opposed to "normal" conditions.

Thirdly, you will NOT be able to charge enough to be compensated for what you will go through.

I agree with Kelly...wait till the Spring Cleanup sessions begin. Period

5. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

heck why not....charge them a little more....I am in this work for the money and winters in Tennessee get pretty boring at times. Might as well do something while I would otherwise be doing nothing. :p

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think so as wet as the ground is it would be a muddy mess by the time you are done the leaves might be gone but it's still going to look messy with all the water and mud everywhere.

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

NO way- It might be difficult around here as we've gotten 3" of snow in the past 2 hours! :) But even without the snow, sorry, no can do.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

roscioli, that aint no irish name. i like it. i see you sold out in 2003. how cum? how long were u in business?

9. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

My first reaction is -no way-, I have everything put away, its snowing out right now (Massachusetts) and more snow tomorrow. But thinking about it a little more, it's the middle of the day and I'm sitting here on the computer with nothing to do. I could use the money even if it means working in the snow. So, if I got a call like that I probably would do it.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe Dutch? LOL