If a limb started to split at the end can u wrap it

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clyde, Jul 11, 2004.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

i was cutting a sweet gum tree limb the other day and i did the traditional 2 cuts one underneath and then further out on top
    but when i got have way through the top it started to split. It only went about 1-2 in up the limb.

If i tie some thing around it to hold it together will it mend?
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I cant picture exactly what happened, but if you can place it back together pretty cleanly, (and it didnt hapen several days ago!!!) it will usually heal.
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't figure out why it would be an issue either. Usually it's a three cut method:

First cut on the bottom, further out on the limb than where you want the final cut.

Second cut starting at the top, but an inch or so further out than the first.

The third cut is made once the first and second are finished and most of the wieght is off of the limb. This helps to eliminate tear-off of the bark.

If you are using a chainsaw on a fairly large limb, the second cut needs to be either directly over the first one, or a saw kerf further out. There is a good possibility of the limb becoming a "saw snatcher" if you cut further out than that....

4. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

yea i was using a chainsaw.

i think i didn't cut the bottom one far enough through.
    and then i was trying to cut the top one to the outside of it.

i didn't have anything with me at the time to wrap it

it sorta look like i had a wedge and drove it down the middle of the limb i cut. about 1-2 inches into it.

i don't think it should be an issue ... there was a limb just starting right there , going up . where i cut. so i figured that one should set to be the primary 1 and beyond that the stub will just rot off or something.