if a new guy asked you....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if a new guy asked you, how much money he would need to get started in lawn mowing only, what would you say? i'll use my area for an example. the lawns average 4-10 k. he will be doing mowing only. he has 20 grand to his name, and will be trying for 30-40 lawns for startup. don't give me an equipment list, tell me how much money he will need to get started and provide a proffessional mowing service to his clients. a proffessional mowing service=mow, edge, wack, blow. also, spring and fall cleanups. he will also provide thatching, slit seeding, aeration, and starter fert. services. thank you

2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

used 1/2 ton PU in descent shape $5000
    New 48" belt drive WB $2500
    Commercial straight shaft trimmer $250
    Commercial hand held blower $200
    Quality 21" push mower $500
    6' x 10' open trailer $600
    SS spreader $350
    Rent aerator, dethatcher, and slit seeder when needed.

Total
    $9,700

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would sell him 30 of my worst accounts for $19,000 that leaves him a grand for a mower and a broom then tell him to take out a loan for another 10K for the other things or loan him 10K at 10% a month, he should make it back in a couple of weeks with all the $$$$ he will be making.

Mac

4. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I would tell him to drive by lawndog's house and scour his garbage...lol

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey..I have a box of old flyers Im throwing out. He can scratch off the phone# and name. :D

6. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I started for under $5000. Spent the biggest chunk on a Scag 36in belt drive. Ramped that up into the back of my truck along with a couple used trimmers and a used blower (all of which I'm replacing tomorrow with brand new stuff. YEAH!)I just rented the aerator and de-thatcher when I needed them.

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

a legitimate business 15000.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Id say replace the hanheld blower with a redmax back pack 7001 and spend 150 bucks on a push mower......

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Bobby, Is this guy your talking about, is it YOU by chance.

You know a guy, and you use your area as an example. One can only conclude the guy in question is Bobbygedd...

And will this guy be using the ULTIMATE MOWING MACHINE??

Just messin with you again bobby..

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I could start a buisness with $10,000 no problem. With the money I made durin the cuttin season, I could buy a half way decent used leaf vac, an a couple of good blowers for fall cleanup. I might have to build a leaf box for the back of my pick up, an pitch fork the leaves out.

The money I made from fall cleanup would buy a pretty good used plow truck. The money I made from snow plowin would buy a decent mower for the following season. I got 2 pretty good mowers now, might as well get more customers.

The money I made from cuttin would buy a decent dump. I could use it for top soil, mulch, etc... an build a leaf box for that now. Man I dont have to use a pitch fork anymore......I can pick up a few more fall cleanups...

The money I made from the cleanups, would buy me a lazer now, or close to it. etc........