If Caterpillar made commercial ZTR's would any of you be interested?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Apr 24, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I wish they would come out with a commercial ZTR line, their engines are sweet and you know that the quality would be great.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I was a heavy truck mechanic for 20 years and Cat parts always carried a premium price. Even when spec'ed in a new truck the cat engine was $$$$$ more than a Detroit or Cummins.With good maintenance all 3 were good engines and I think the cummins was every bit as good as the cat.
    So back to the question, If they were cost competive to purchase, maybe so, dealer support would have to be there also

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The dealer support would be there. Cat dealers are the best there is. They would probibly be the most expensive ztr's around.

4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I bet they would sell, just because of there name alone. You would be thinking..very heavy duty.

I would love to see a mower with a 2 cycle Detroit diesel on it. Could you imagine that mower screaming? It would be the loudest mower ever.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

He He a 453 detroit and no one in a neighborhood would get any peace. I guess most of the cycles were phased out by the 60 series except maybe logging equipment? Are the 53 and 71 series available anymore? The 92 series were probably the worst ever made, its a wonder the EPA and DEQ didnt put them out of buissness, the oil companies had to invent the 92 series :rolleyes:

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

and if they blow a nice cloud of black smoke out the exhaust when you got on the gas, that would be too cool.

7. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I think Cat motors are in the Ferris ZTR already. Why in the heck do you guys want a old detroit in a ZTR? Your hearing would be gone by the end of the first day!

8. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

haha, ya it sure would. But thats what the big yellow work tunes are for. Just turn off the radio so you can here that Detroit scream, along with the blades.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

NO I wouldnt buy a Cat mower. They have ZERO expierence building mowers.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

I just spent some time on the detroit site.All of the 2 cycles are not advertised, they have a SUN series and a 700 series that may be mower compatable