1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If dull blades make brown tips, what about?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

What about string trimmer line? I was doing an embankment the other day with my trimmer and i thought, why dont grass get brown tips from trimmer line. I mean trimmer line has to be duller than a dull blade is. I know this is not one of lifes great questions, but anyone know why this phenomona exists?
  2. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought of that the other day while I was string trimming an area that I had mowed last time with a dull 21" trim mower. Maybe it is string speed vs blade speed?
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, string trimming DOES give the turf brown tips. Just have to look and pay close attention...it's there.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think the whole thing is exagerated by the guy who cant figure out whats wrong with the lawn, and needs a scapegoat. Acutally, I know this to be true.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

its not like there are studies on this... *sarcasism*

dull blades _and_ string trimming will leave yellow tips on the grass, when you look at an entire lawn of yellow tips it greatly changes its appearance.
  6. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I will know next Tuesday. I will check the area I did with a weed whacker this Tuesday.
  7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have cut some pretty big areas with a string trimmer, and havent really noticed any browning as long as you keep the cut height right. My helper likes to cut too short, and that tends to brown it out alot more significantly than the cutting method. We also use Echo Crossfire .095 string, I think that helps with a nice cutting edge.