If I had a million dollars?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

if you won the lotto, got an inheritence, or just started taking bobbys advice and came across a million $$$.... what would you do.

keep mowing as normal
    mow fewer yards
    retire
    use money for new truck/mowers or for your biz
    vacations/personal use
    just put in savings and dont touch

or buy a kit car and build a tree fort

you wouldnt have to eat kraft dinner... but would you?

bobby, please dont say youd buy a monkey. i know you always wanted a monkey. lol :p

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would go with the kit car and tree fort option.... although I really HAVE always wanted a monkey.

Kevin

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy a few newer mowers, a top notch truck, brilliant lookin trailer, custom paintjob for truck to make it unique, and put the rest in a savings account to build interest while I mow and make more money. thats a pretty well planned idea to think about, cause when you retire, you'll have some extra money in the bank, and if you need extra for a mower, you've got plenty.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy a new truck and mower. Cut a few less lawns. My wife would be able to stop working. And I'd bank the rest. $1,000,000 isn't enough to retire on at 40.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

put the kids through college, pay off the house, go to Disney World, and put the rest away...the business can sustain itself.

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I am already retired so I wouldn't do that. But I would get a bigger place (more acreage) so I could have more to mow. Might even relocate to a climate where the grass grows 12 mos. continually.

I would try to find Bobby Gedd's address so I could send him a monkey because as Brianslawn's post stated -- Bobby has always wanted one. :D

Nosmo

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

number 5 :waving:

8. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably take at least half and put it into some land. $500,000 is a nice down payment on a lot. The rest I would put into the business. New trucks, mowers, trailers, etc. Take at least $100,000 and put it into some form of emergency savings account where it earns good interest but is available to me should the company desperately need the money.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Let's see now. 1 million dollars.

I'd build a new home on my acres in NC. $200,000
    I'd buy a new F-250 work truck. Nothing fancy. $25,000
    I just bought the wife a new car so that's taken care of. Priceless
    I'd lend/give my daughter, son-out-law and grand daughter the money for a down on a house. $25,000
    I'd give my son $25,000.
    Cash for the relocation of my business to NC. $225,000 (work when I want kind of thing)
    The remaining $500,000 would be invested for my not too distant retirement.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a million bucks? i plan to drop dead at around 65, so, i'd take the million, buy a million shares of boston mkt stock at 1 penny a piece. i'd buy a monkey. i'd bank the rest, and on my 50th birthday, retire fully with an income of about 66k per year.