If I Hear This Question One More Time...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Nov 27, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you do in the winter????? I must be asked this question 10 times a day from customers, friends, strangers, etc..... Drives me crazy. I have to pretend like I've never been asked this question before. People I know well, I'll answer, "Lay on the couch, drink football and watch beer"!!!!

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I tell them I plow...if I'm not doing that, I'm resting up for next year.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt's standard answer:
    "I hibernate like a bear."

Got to agree though. It does get old getting asked this question.
    I always get the feeling that when people find out that we don't work in the winter, they come away with the impression that we are lazy. But if we had to work in the winter in addition to all the long hours in the season, this business just wouldn't be as appealing.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here is what you tell them:

Besides working down at the homeless shelter, and spending days volunteering at the soup kitchen, we spend many of our afternoons volunteering at the homes for the elderly. Every second weekend though, we volunteer at the humane society and the county animal shelter grooming the dogs and cats for adoption. Toward the end of the winter, we start getting things all set up again for the upcoming Habitat for Humanity projects. Some days, we have to cut short at this though, as we are called upon from the church for help. in various functions.:angel:

Your customers will see you in a different light. The only disclaimer to this is that if you tell them you do these things, then you must go forth and do them.:D

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have heard that question about 50 times this last month. Do you think school teachers get asked that same question about the summer?:cool:

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I like to tell them that I donate all that money I made in the summer to charitable orginizations and help the homeless.

People that ask those questions (at least down here) obviously don't care about their lawns............plenty to do here until Late Jan. early Feb.

By that time all the leaves are FINALLY done falling and nothing grows..........I get about a good month of relaxing.

What do ya'll do in the winter?

I agree.......it gets old fast.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

They always ask me if I snowplow (maybe I should consider it) NOT, and I tell them nothing, going to go to snowmobile races, they just look at me.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I get it alot. I mean Winter isn't that long, I try to save up a nice cushion so I can take it easy for a few months. I do plow but if we have another year like last it isn't even worth it.

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Its almost as bad as "Hot enough for ya??"

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

So anyways, what do YOU do in the winter? :eek: