1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If I Wanna Go Big???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Whats your best ideas for going big...commercial and residential all together???

What marketing ideas would you put together,,,how many items would you mail??

Advertising,,how to go about it??

Anything,,,just spit it out???
  2. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Do great work and you will get big.
  3. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Hey whats up Husky?

Hows business been for you so far this year?

Take it easy and have a good summer.
  4. Buddy Markley

Buddy Markley LawnSite Member

First, make sure have a labor force ready to grow with you.

It is possible to outgrow your own means.

Good luck..
  5. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Not only do you need LABOR FORCE but you will also need CAPITAL (ie. $$$$$). EVERYTHING will cost more. More overhead, more money outlayed, more equipment, more rent for storage.................

6. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,,but what kind of stuf would you be doing,,,far as marketing....
  7. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I have a friend that advertised with a local radio station and paid the extra $$$ to ensure the spots were done by the most popular DJ and his phone just about blew up!!! So many inquires that he could hardly handle it with 8 employees. Just an idea.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think marketing strategies vary from region to region, and of course vary according to how quickly you want to grow. Unless you gotta lotta cash at your disposal, you want the most bang from your buck.

Traffic's so bad in Northern VA, you want to target specific areas so you're not driving all over the place at 10mph. Besides flyers and such, I've had a lot of success with the little newletters that a lot of subdivisions publish each month. Cost is usually 10-20 bucks a month. Usually the office for these places is in the pool clubhouse.

I know the whole Manassas/Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket area is booming, lots of people with 3 hour a day commute times with no time left to mow the lawn.
  9. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

funny,,thats my area,,i live in nokesville
  10. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I think he read your profile...lol.
    Get testimonials from existing clients and try the fliers, and also try directmail or door hangers if you want to do the work yourself.
    Look in the yellow pages for direct mail companies. you can select a zipcode, and blanket an area. With some honest testimonials, It should be easy to pick up some work.
    You will definitely have to add to your overhead when you make this plunge.
    At least you are in a good area for density.