If I were a new edger, which one would I be?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Jun 15, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

My old edger took a crap on me this week. Need a new one pronto. What's the best you can get for your money?
  2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Tanaka 600, nothing else is even close.
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For the money, pound for pound - dollar for dollar, the McClane is an EXCELLENT edger as well.
  5. naturescape

It's belt drive, has horrible manueverability, and is poorly built. I've had a couple, so I know.

The TLE is built great, direct drive, and super manueverable/fast. You get what you pay for. Have you used a Tanaka wb edger? I have cut sod 2" thick with mine down horribly overgrown sidewalks. It'll cut that like a hot knife through butter. It's truly an amazing edger and from that I developed my love for Tanaka products.

Hey, I have a few different items I edge with, just look at the list of equipment I have. The Tan wb, the stick, the Edgit, all have their place on certain lawns. But if you want one edger that will do it all, fast, the Tanaka wb is the way to go.
  6. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

If you have to edge weekly or bi weekly I would get a stick edger. I have a stihl FC110 and it has tons of power.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

who still uses a wb edger?
  8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Ditto The above.

9. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

Best for the money, I just got the Tanaka 250pf for $ 220.00 on ebay. Stihl's are very good, but you will pay more than that, way more. Tanaka is commercial quality, exactly the same power in engine and lighter. The Stihl 110 is a solid shaft which I think is better and is quieter, but that is it. Much more money. Stihl requires mixed gas as well and more maintenance.
  10. naturescape

I often use my Tanaka 550. As I've seen someone mention here before, if you have more than 5 minutes of edging to do, the WB is the way to go. Less fatigue, and the Tanaka is almost as fast as my stick -- faster in many instances.