If I'm an LLC do I need insurance?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TClawn, Dec 3, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

being a llc and only doing residentials do I really need insurance? all they can do is take my equipment (at this point). It just seems impractical to have insurance for only 12 accounts.

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Yes.......

3. TClawn

Why.........

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

You ALWAYS need insurance. Even if you are an LLC, there are ways to pierce that protection offered through an LLC. No matter what, you should ALWAYS operate with insurance.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Of course you need insurance. What happens if there's an accident?

6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

You should not be in business without it.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

TClawn,

Without actually digging into it I would offer this: The protection afforded you by being an LLC is mainly a layer separating your personal property from business owned assets, this protects you from creditors in the, god forbid, event of bankruptcy.

Insurance offers you personal liability protection: i.e. you are the corporate officer in charge of your LLC (or your wife, or your offspring, etc.), as officer of the LLC you are liable for negligence on the part of the corporation. example, property damage, personal injury, etc. due to negligence.

Like I said I haven't thoroughly checked this out this is merely my common sense approach to the question you posed. At any rate when I form my LLC I will also carry General Liability ins.

Just my 2 cents :waving:

G-P

8. TClawn

thanks Green-pro.

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

green pro is dead-on. your equipment should be lower on your list of protection as opposed to protecting yourself against sending a rock through a picture window/car/person. the "limited liability" in "llc" is really something that should be thorougly researched and understood.

oh, and a general liability policy is pretty inexpensive and it should be bought sooner than later. you may have trouble getting insured if you operate for any length of time without it.

tony

10. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

How much are you guys paying on insurance?