1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

if it too late to seed,what to do with the left over customors that did not get seed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Oct 8, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

what the next move on lawns that you did not get a chance to seed because it to late,or leaf drop,frost,soil temp,lack of h2o ect...

these foaks are hopping to get a lawn started but because they called late what should we do?

what do you think about core aerate the heck out of the lawn now,wait till the ground is frozen then broadcast seed over the lawn area?
    i never done this but they say it works along as the turf is kept debri free.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The normal temperatures for Chicago is about 68 for this time of the year and I would think your area should be about the same. Next week is supposed to be warm again and I have seeded this late in the season and it came up, but it is right at the dead line for this. It all depends on ground temperatures and moisture at this time of year, so it is a gamble. A few years ago, I planted one the last of October and we had two weeks in the 70's and it came up nice, looked great in the spring, but that was a big gamble in my opinion.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A Chemlawn manager told me that you can aerate late in the season (dorment lawn) and spread seed that will lay dorment until the spring time. I've never done this. Give it a try.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If you take on this type of job it should be made clear and in writing that they agree and understand that the seed may not take until the spring. If so, the chances of the grass not being mature enough to survive summer are greater and they accept the risk.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The chances are too big that in the 3 months the seed lays there it is bound to get washed away.
  6. Mark_Christopher

Mark_Christopher LawnSite Member

I would wait. Why take the risk just because you need the money? In the long run it will be costing you... Why not offer a alternative of Annual rye grass? Thats what Iam in the process of doing here in Southern California- Dethatching, aeration, and annual rye for the bermuda grasses that are in the process of going dormant. Or what about Blue Grass (Poa Annua)??? that does well in winter over here, but then again iam not used to your climate zone.... but its a little info....

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not only will it wash away, but whatever doesn't wash away will get eaten by birds and other animals.
  8. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just wait till Spring.