If its not raining, it's "dew-ing"!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Sep 24, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yeah its part of our business to fight mother nature but this week I'm real cranky. Friend of mine is on vacation and he asked me to mow 20 of his residentials in addition to my own accounts(and I hate residential) And of course we now are having clear, cool, no wind, nights so the freakin dew is heavy and lays there til 11am on some properties. And Lord forbid we get any green tire marks on their precious white sidewalks(and I hate residentials...lol)

Anyway, how do you guys fight the dew since its worse than rain? With daylight dwindling , waiting til mid morning is not an option. One of my mower mentors here told me to raise the deck up and run over the lawn to knock off the moisture, then mow it. Any other "dew tips"?...thanks

2. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

We just cut the slow growers in the morning. Save the lush green ones for afternoon if possible. Never heard of going over the lawn to "knock the dew off". Thats a new one.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we cut the really thin lawns in the morning, and the heavy & more healthy ones later in the day. We actually do that all season long though

4. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think there is really much else you can do other than good scheduling techniques. We push mow what we can in the morning, even if it means jumping property to property and then coming back to ride when it is dry. We also mow the thinner ones first if there is no pm to be done.

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Try this!
    If it has been raining or I caught my last lawn or two right after sprinklers went off.
    Take an old towel and hit wheels just before hitting side walk.
    Now this only works if you aren't turning in driveway or sidewalk and staying on the grass all the time.
    It saves blow time as we all know wet grass is a pain to get off with out a push broom.
    Doesn't get it all but most. Keeps your schdule tighter.

6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

This year has definitely been the worst that I've seen as far as morning dew is concerned and I think that today was the worst. What I'm doing is making sure that If I schedule a lawn that is to be mowed early in the morning, I won't schedule it again for as long as possible. I think (hope) that my customers are ok with the problem of morning dew and can put up with it hopefully only once. Another idea is to get all you driving out of the way in the morning so that your spending that morning dew time in the truck while the sun burns it off. Other than that, just deal with it the best you can and if it means blowing the lawn out with the blower, so be it. I'm just happy that it's not 90degrees plus like it was this time last year.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

GarPa,
    The lawns were an absolute mess this morning.
    It is begining to get a little frustrating with all the weather this year.But hey,I guess it's better than cutting dust like last year.

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

IF I have time at the end of a day, I will start on the next days lawns. It might only be a 2-3 lawns, but it's less to do the next morning. Or I'll cut the thinner lawns in the morn.

9. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

If you do a few in a row it's best to mow them one time and let the grass dry as long as possible. We'll mow 1x then trim then go back where we started mowing first and start our double cut.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Ahhhh, mowing grass with dew in the morning. This reminds me of the "olden" days on the golf course. We used to carry a three-piece, fiberglas 'whip" that was about 1/2" in diameter. Before mowing a green or tee, we'd assemble the whip and "whip" the dew from the grass. A 3,500sf green took a minute or two to whip, but it made the mowing process much nicer. I know this would be impractical for lawns, but I wanted to share it just the same.