If it's not the leaves, it's the frost.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonnau, Nov 18, 2005.

1. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

I just can't seem to get anything done lately. Leaves, frost. If it weren't for that, I'd be on vacation. It's 8:00 am, I'm ready to go, but the grass is white as can be. I still have about 20 yards that would be nice to get to, but it's Friday. I'm saying my season is done after I get one more cut on everyone. Of corse, there's still a few little jobs out there, but grass is definitely on the way out around here. In fact only one day out of the next 10 is it going to be above freezing in the morning. I'm thinking about going to get a few skids of salt this morning instead of mowing.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i find it relaxing to be able to sleep until 8 cause the leaves are frozen to the grass :)

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I do, probably my only complaint is I can only get around 4-6 hours of work done in a day... It's 8:30 now, by 9 I make a deposit, then waste some more time and get to my first customer's house no earlier than 10am, it's just not worth it even trying (it was 28 degrees outside an hour ago).

Then come 4pm I have to start thinking about cutting out because it's dark by 5:30, so I've been scheduling 2 leaf cleanups/day and that's all she wrote. But, you never know, it could be in the 80's next week LOL

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

It was close to 20 here this morning, grass white and crunchy. Hopefully it will stay warm enough during the day for the next few weeks...really need to get a few more done.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you need some lights on your machines.

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Saturday is going to be a good day to work, but, I have a football game that I need to watch.:) But I think I will do my Mom's and her neighbors yard before the game.

7. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Boy I'm accomplishing tons lately. Today I got a couple of skids of salt to kill some time till the frost melted, then mowed a whoping 3. They were all big lawns with a lot of leaf work needing done. So far this week with all the leaves,a rain day, and a large leaf job, I've mowed 10 total out of about 35. I'm gonna continue on all weekend and carry on into next week until thanksgiving. I have this overwhelming urge to get these leaves cleaned up before they all get wet and frozen. It's looking like this is very likely the last cut though. I'll go out again one more time after next week, but I doubt there's going to be much cutting after all of this frost. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.