if "the other guy" stopped, would u listen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 5, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

been meaning to ask this. what if, u just started with a new client, and thier former guy was driving by and stopped and talked to u. if they told you the guy was a deadbeat, and beat them out of money, would u continue to service the new client?
  2. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Depends ..... I mean if you know the former guy and hes trustable listen to him. But if you know the other guy doesnt like you and is just doing anything to screw you over dont listen.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Make me think about the situation long and hard. tough call. Go with gut feeling with some $$$ up front

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

and would not let the new client get to far into me 4 money there is always 2 sides to a story
  5. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I would tell the client what the LCO said and get his or her side of the story. Then make my decision.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think that's pretty sound advice.
  7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yes...What Black Water said!

But there again if you ask me there are always 3 sides to a story his and the other persons and the truth witch lies somewhere up the middle.

So I guess, Bobby, you'll have to listen to both sides and make your own desicion mate.
    I mean..........who would you trust arfter hearing both sides is the question you should ask yourself.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats happened to me 3 times. 3 times i didnt listen. 3 times i got screwed. Now they all pay in advance.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Pinnacle's got it. Three sides his,theirs,and the truth. I'd service them until there was a problem.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the story. Yes, I'd tend to believe the LCO if he told me the client was a deadbeat. But on the other hand, you have to size up the other LCO a little too. Many times, it's an issue of the LCO just not having his ducks in a row, being TOO desperate for money, not using proper invoicing methods, etc. that is at the root of the problem - nothing the client did.

I have an old friend who used to be an employee. He learned a little of the business from me and unfortunately, because of his poor attitude and ineptitude, I had to let him go. He went off and started his own LCO biz and became my competitor. For years, we maintained a working friendship, despite being competitors. We'd meet for lunch and discuss clients and the LCO biz and he was always bitching about so and so and how they didn't pay on time and just stressing out about all sorts of unnecessary stuff. What he never realized and was super obvious to me was that 99% of the time, it wasn't the client's fault at all. It was his own business practices and unreasonable expectations. And those all arose from the fact that he was always broke and behind the 8 ball so far that he always needed the money NOW. And we all know that's not always possible.

Anyway, over the years, I've ended up with lots of his old "problem" clients. And they weren't problem clients at all! They were great. I set them up on AutoPay, raised their rate and level of service, and they've turned out to be wonderful clients for us.

So long story short - what didn't work for another LCO may work for you. Just use your discretion.