if they ask for thatching, and seeding?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 17, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if a client asks for thatching and seeding, do u do it, even though you think it doesnt need it? example, i have two customers already asking me to put them on my thatching/seeding schedule. their lawns look awsome, but they just have it in thier head that this procedure just needs to be repeated every fall. do u advise them against it? just do it and get paid?
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

To address their wishes we would have a chat and inform them that we will rake out any of the damaged turf and seed. That power raking the entire lawn if in good condition would damage the turf and may not recover completely when it goes dormant for winter allowing.

I am responsible for the quality of the lawn. I cannot in good conscious do anything that will purposely damage a lawn, or lessen the quality appearance that has been achieved.
  3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

How about giving the estimate, but explain that the service is not necessary, and that perhaps the $$ is better spent on another area of care on the property.... ie: addressing other problems, plantings, pruning, etc..... this way, you can show the customer your not trying/willing to just take their $$$, and you can bring up other issues, or sell other services......

Just a thought......................
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Get them to go from de-thatching to aerating. That really shouldn't be too hard of a switch if you know what you are talking about ;)