If u could pay a telemarketer per "signed client"..

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

If u could pay a telemarketer per "signed client".... How much would it be worth? I'm talking no salary or anything like that.... Just a per "signed client" payment. $15, $20, $30. Let's just focus on mowing clients for now.
    And I do not want to get too detailed or off the main topic. ... "you better check on state labor laws, you could get sued if telemarketer does this or that while calling for you, etc". I'm aware there is more involved with this,,,I'm just looking for a number. Thanks
  2. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I would pay up to $100. I know you said you don't want to get to off topic here, but I don't think anyone would be willing to be paid like that. By signed, I assume you mean you close the sale. The telemarketer has no control over your closing percentage, and therefore no control over their pay.
  3. tinman

from ga

Actually they would control their income,,,as the price would be pre set for certain areas and they would be stated in the call. So there is no waiting on me to close after I give an estimate.
  4. LLCO

LLCO LawnSite Member

If you are paying per closed sale, anything under a $100 is doing well. In telemarketing, you typically get what you pay for. If they are using a predictive dialer, it wil help them tremendously.

Have you used telemarketing in the past sucessfully? I am hearing even the industry big dogs are getting away from telesales. :dizzy:
  5. tinman

from ga

never tried i b4. I just like the idea of paying only for advertising that actually works.
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So this telemarketer would call a house to ask if they want X service. They setup a time for an estimate and you go over to try to win the bid?
  7. tinman

from ga

no, price would be pre determined, because I would know the address.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Around $100 would be fair to both parties. With advertising expenses, I usually pay more than that.
  9. kdbetters

kdbetters LawnSite Member

it all depends on what method is used. someone said earlier that if they use a predictive dailer then, it would work out better. This is true I'am a part-time telemarketing manager, and I am thinking of outsourcing them for a few early spring sustomers. However telemarketing has gotten tougher, the last few years especially with the no call lists because their are fewer people to then before. However, it would be really tough to outsource a firm or any single marketer on commision based only. It would probably be cheaper to pay a hourly plus commision pay rate. Something like $8/hour plus $10 per closed lead. Also have it on a sliding sale to where the more leads they get the more money they get. Like the first 3 leads is $10, the next 3 is $15, the next 3 is $20( also while still giving them their hourly pay). I you do it this it will motivate them to set more, however if they do not produce you will only be out a small amount of money(also remember, whether they set a lead or not they are still advertising and people will know your name).
  10. Mclaughld

Mclaughld LawnSite Member

It sounds risky having a telemarketer bid the job for you. Why dont you pay them per appointment they make? that way you go to the property, charge accordingly, and maybe even upsell.