if u had an employee......

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bobbygedd, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

say u had an employee, and after, say 6 months, he just fizzled out, and quit without notice . a couple months later, he applies for a job elsewhere. he fills out the aplication, and lists you as one of his former employers. the possible future employer calls you, and , asks questions. what will you tell this possible future employer?

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

That exactly... Is there more to this than meets the eye?

3. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

well if he was a good working i would give him a good word, i will not lie to anyone for any reason

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

in this litigious society in which we live, I would give dates of employment only and if asked if I would rehire, I would say no. "company policy doesn't allow divulging any further information"

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good answer

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Same here we only accept a reference request by mail or fax and I have a form from my lawyer that I mail or fax back. The only thing it lists is the dates of employment.

7. XMT&RCV

XMT&RCV LawnSite Member
    from 28532

For all of you who didn't know this, listen up!

You cannot and I repeat cannot offer anything negative about a previous employee.. no matter how rude, irresponsible or cluts they were... it will come back to haunt you.. There is a thing called defamation of character and it can cost you. You may only say yes or no to the inquiring employers questions. There are 2 ways around this... 1. you can say that you wouldn't hire this person again. 2. Inform them that they are asking the wrong questions.. hint hint... it sux I know..

Quoting:grass-scapes "company policy doesn't allow it"

8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^That's right. It is illegal.

9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I'd just tell the truth. The dates he worked for me, if he was a hard/good worker, if he was on time. Then just tell them that he quit coming to work on such and such date. That's not negative, just the truth.

10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Unfortunately the truth can land you in a courtroom very quick.

Give the dates of employment and thats it. You cannot risk giving out anything else. Its a tough thing to do. Ive had many previous employees that left in such a negative way and I know would love to cause me problems, but I still hold back and only provide that information.

It amazes me that some people actually put me down as an employment reference.