If we could re-write the rules......

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

The hard copy of my license came from the folks at the state AG dept a couple of weeks ago and its got me to ruminating again about how entirely worthless the entire process of certification is to my business. Its a big fat time drain, requires me to carry insurance that insures me for the mis-application of products I don't use, obliges me to send the state $60 I'd rather spend on beer, taught me nothing I didn't already know, and finally certifies me in a process that Im competing against so it hardly "legitimizes" me in the eyes of potential customers.

I was making this very point to one of my customers when she suddenly chimed in that she was friendly with the State Rep. and could probably get me a meeting with her to discuss introducing legislation that might possibly lead to a specific certifying process for organics. Now in reality I don't know how much latitude the state would have to re-fashion these guidelines considering they all essentially ape the EPA but still.

Much confused babbling ensued.

I know what I don't like about the current process but I don't know how to best balance the needs of this side of the business with State's desire to be the public's mother and protect us all from snake oil.

Any thoughts on how a legislator might draw that line??

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

About the insurance, won't it cover you if you burn a lawn in either case, with organics or synthetics?

3. Organic a go go

My truck wont haul enough organic fert to "burn" a lawn. Possible in theory I suppose but not very likely to happen at all and in any event not relevant to the levels of coverage the state forces me to carry. But that's another discussion......

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That line will probably never be drawn because it would most likely mean loss of revenue for the state.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it sucks that you have to get a license, insurance and other things to start and stay in business, but I believe it does have it's place. It doesn't happen much anymore, but this forum used to get bombed by people asking questions about having a license to apply organic ferts and asking really amateur questions. At least the licensing procedures to weed some of them out, and it's better overall for the industry.

There are some holes to jump through but at the end of the day you own and run your own business. I think the pros outweigh the cons.

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If I were you I would put boldly on anything I owned

LICENSED PROFESSIONAL, LICENSE # 678910, INSURED

7. Organic a go go

Thought this one would get more hits.

Kiril if the USDA got into the organic food certification business then anything is possible.

Bill I've tried pimping my license and it doesn't work. Im a certified Illinois Pesticide Applicator with a specialty in turf. Doesn't seem to add much value to an organic program in the eyes of your average potential customer. In fact if anything it makes them less trustful. "So you have a state license to apply chemicals...???" And it degenerates from there usually.

It may well be that little operators like me are too far ahead of the curve to get the attention of the state but I'll bet you my bottom dollar when/if TGCL et al. finally get rolling into this in a bigger way you'll start to see the regulatory wheels spin in a different direction. When that day comes experience tells me that a lot of us long time organic operators aren't going to like how that shakes out.

As it is the system in IL serves no one's interest. Not mine, not the state's and certainly not the customer's. Im glad to meet any standard the state see's fit to hold me to but I don't think it's too much to ask that any regulatory standard be RELEVANT.

But honestly. No one has any ideas at all about how to begin regulating this business ?